Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nearest JR from Lake Akan 2008/9/8 13:44
Hi,

I am staying at Lake Akan for 1 night and proceeding to Sounkyo the next day.

Is the nearest JR from Lake Akan Kitami JR? Can I take a bus to this JR from Lake Akan?

I am travelling by public transport. Thank you!
by Calador  

... 2008/9/9 08:13
The closest station is Masshu Station (1 hour from Akankohan), however, bus service there is very infrequent.

More frequent is the bus service to Kushiro Station (2 hours).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Bus from Lake Akan to Asahikawa JR 2008/9/9 12:02
Thank you Uji.

I found this website http://www.dohokubus.com/tosikan.html. It is in Japanese and need help to confirm if I interpreted it correctly on the bus info:

旭川〜釧路 Time Table
- Leave Lake Akan at 0933, arrive Asahikawa JR at 1430.
- Cost 4,580 YEN per adult per trip

by Calador rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/9 16:29
Your interpretation is correct.

Thank you! Need your help again . . . 2008/9/9 23:39
Thank you Uji and you have been a great help!

May I clarify:

a) Is 層雲峡 referring to Sounkyo?

b) Understand that 着 means alight and 発 means depart. So from the time table downloaded from the website above, I noted both 着 and 発 are not always indicated at every stop. How should I interprete it?

c) Am I correct to interpret that I can board the bus at Lake Akan at 0933 and can alight at Sounyko at 1303?

d) Do you know which part of Sounkyo will the bus stop? I am staying at Sounkyo Choyo Tei. I am wondering if I can walk there.

This is really confusing and your help is greatly appreciated!

Arigato! :)

... 2008/9/10 08:52
Is 層雲峡 referring to Sounkyo?

Yes!

I noted both 着 and 発 are not always indicated at every stop. How should I interprete it?

If only 発 is mentioned, it means that it is not possible to get off the bus at that station. For example, it is not permitted to take the particular bus from Kushiro to Lake Akan. Likewise, if only 着 is mentioned, then it is not possible to board the bus at the particular station.

Am I correct to interpret that I can board the bus at Lake Akan at 0933 and can alight at Sounyko at 1303?

Yes.

Do you know which part of Sounkyo will the bus stop? I am staying at Sounkyo Choyo Tei. I am wondering if I can walk there.

Sounkyo is small and walkable. Your hotel is not most centrally located, but I think it should not take more than 10 minutes to walk there.

You might also be interested that your hotel operates a free shuttle bus to Asahikawa and Sapporo:
http://www.choyotei.com/access/index.html

Thank you! 2008/9/14 00:25
Thank you once again Uji-san for your help.

I have decided to take the 0933 bus from Lake Akan and stop at Sounkyo.

By the way, has Autumn arrived in Hokkaido already? I am arriving on 2 Oct and hope will not miss the beautiful autumn leaves.

... 2008/9/14 07:39
By the way, has Autumn arrived in Hokkaido already?

It seems that trees have already started to change colors in the higher elevations of Daisetsuzan National Park, a little bit ahead of the average year's schedule.

However, you will be visiting a range of elevations, and should be able to see autumn leaves in some.

reply to this thread