Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Christmas Travel 2008/9/8 17:11
I am visiting Japan in December and will be travelling through Kyushu over Christmas and into New Year. We are staying in Aso and hope to get up onto Mt Aso on Christmas Day itself. will public transport be operating normally?
by Phil from Halifax  

New Year 2008/9/8 18:02
See here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2064.html

In short, trains and motorways will be packed with people returning home for the New Year holiday. Furthermore, the shinkansen seats will be reserved weeks before this holiday and therefore it might be difficult to travel those days.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Re: New Year 2008/9/8 18:04
Forgot to copy in the most important link: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html ^_^;;
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Christmas 2008/9/8 20:38
Christmas is not much of a holiday in Japan being mostly Buddhist and Shinto. It will probably be a bit busier in the more expensive restaurants as it is mostly celebrated as a romantic get-together with a romantic present and a Christmas cake. There'll be Christmas carols, Santas and Christmas trees in the shops though.

I would certainly like to visit Japan during that time and join the crowds for a hatsumoude (first temple visit of the year), etc.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Further Questions 2008/9/10 20:15
Thanks for the responses to this initial question. I had found the link embedded in the Forum site and certainly the fact that trains and roads will be really busy raises all sorts of difficulties.
Our trip is over 15 days arriving Dec 19 at Kansai Airport.
We then have the following : -
19/20 Dec in Kyoto;
21/22/23 Dec in Hiroshima (to visit Miyajima and the Peace Park and explore the city);
24 Dec to Aso, Kyushu via Fukuoka/Hakata;
26 Dec to Beppu;
28 Dec to Kagoshima;
30 Dec to Fukuoka (New Year in Fukuoka);
1 Jan to Osaka;
3 Jan Return to UK
26/27 Dec Beppu;
I will activate the JRPass at Kansai, and book seats on the relevant trains.
Do people think there will be a real problem getting seats for this itinerary?
by Phil from Halifax rate this post as useful

December travel 2008/9/10 21:26
Hi,

I'm also going to Japan in December, except i will be there for 30 days from 5th December to 3rd January.

I'm arriving in Tokyo but will go straight to Osaka and travel around Kansai area, Honshu and Kyuushu from 5th - 19th Dec. And then I will go to Sapporo on the 21st-25th Dec and I will spend the rest of my time there in Tokyo. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks
by Ina J rate this post as useful

reply to this thread