Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka or Tokyo to Hokkiado with JR pass 2008/9/9 10:35
Hi, I'm planning to go from either Osaka or Tokyo to Hokkiado with JR passs. I'm planning to take the night train, please advise which train is the most economical train and quickest way? Are both Cassiopeia and Hokutosei trains luxury trains only? or can I just use my JR pass to reserve normal seats (no xtr cost)?
by Betty  

JR pass 2008/9/9 13:30
With an all Japan JR pass you do not pay for a ticket but must pay for a room or bed. The reservation is free. Haven't you checked the JR pass site? http://www.japanrailpass.net/ it is Hokkaido by the way and it is a very long way from Osaka to Hokkaido by train (best part of a full day)! if you want to use the Cassiopea with the JR PASS You must pay yen 27000 one way for a twin room + yen 3000 for the part on non-JR tracks. In other words this would be very expensive for an average person. And of course you couldn't see Osaka and the Kansai, Tokyo, Hokkaido and back within 7 days.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/9 16:26
please advise which train is the most economical train and quickest way?

Your night train choices from Osaka are:

- Nihonkai to Aomori followed by a 2 hour daytime train journey to Hakodate on Hokkaido. The night train costs you a supplement fee of at least 9500 yen per Japan Rail Pass holder.

- Twilight Express to Hakodate or Sapporo. This is the longest train journey in Japan and starts already around noon on day 1. Supplement fee is at least 11,000 yen per Japan Rail Pass holder.

From Tokyo:

- Hokutosei to Hakodate or Sapporo. Supplement fee is at least 12,000 yen per Japan Rail Pass holder.

- Cassiopeia to Hakodate or Sapporo. Supplement fee is at least 19,000 yen per Japan Rail Pass holder.

- Akebono to Aomori and then a two hour daytime train ride to Hakodate. This option is free if you use the special Goron to Shito compartment on the Akebono.

More details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2356.html

Are both Cassiopeia and Hokutosei trains luxury trains only? or can I just use my JR pass to reserve normal seats (no xtr cost)?

Both trains have berths only. No regular seats are available.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread