Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

Minimum time for train transfer 2008/9/21 04:48
Going from Tokyo to Kanazawa the Hyperdia suggests Shinkansen max toki 315 from Tokyo to Echigoyuzawa, then ltd exp Hakutaka to Kanazawa. The time for transfer is 8 minutes. Is this possible? Are the trains arriving to/departing from different platforms in Echigoyuzawa?
Thanks in advance!
by Helena  

... 2008/9/21 10:27
That's no problem.

By the way, just in case you use the Japan Rail Pass, note that the route via Echigo-Yuzawa is not fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass as explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4208.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Similar concern 2008/9/21 11:33
I was wondering about the same thing as we've only 10min during transit. But we've 2 big pieces of luggages and 3 kids in tow.. Do we have to walk far to the platform for the connecting train or is it usually on the same platform?

If we've reserved seats, what's the fastest and easiest way to find our seat numbers without going carriage by carriage?
by lsee rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/21 11:55
Echigo-Yuzawa Station is compact. Eight minutes should be enough to do the transfer.

The train to Kanazawa will already be standing at the platform. Therefore, you just have to look for your car number, which is clearly shown on the outside of the cars.

. 2008/9/21 11:58
I was wondering about the same thing as we've only 10min during transit. But we've 2 big pieces of luggages and 3 kids in tow.. Do we have to walk far to the platform for the connecting train or is it usually on the same platform?

It depends, what stations and what trains are you talking about? The one mentioned by the original poster, or another station and train line? Each station and line is laid out differently, some are faster and nicely laid (like Shinagawa Station) and some are slower and hassled (like Tokyo Station).

If we've reserved seats, what's the fastest and easiest way to find our seat numbers without going carriage by carriage?

The platform has signs that say where each train car will stop on the platform, train stop exactly on the designated spot (I love this about Japan, back in my home country trains just stop anywhere on the platform and you got to figure it out). So just follow the signs on the platform, if you are rushed, just board any train car and walk your way through the train, again all the cars are numbered in and out of the train and on the platform.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks, John 2008/9/21 12:24
I was referring to Hikari trains from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka and Kyoto to Narita Airport.

A similar question 2008/9/21 16:56
On Hyperdia usually you can find out the platform trains leave from, but sometimes there is no platform listed - does this mean that you do not have to change platforms? Since we are doing heaps of travel on trains I have worked out our routes using Hyperdia, but sometimes you only have a few minutes to change trains and knowing the platform to go to before hand would be so much easier!
Thanks!
by Aleph rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/21 17:27
Sometimes the platform isn't indicated simply because the data wasn't available for the person to input. There are thousands and thousands of stations throughout Japan, many go through construction sometimes so platform number changes as well. It is easier to update timetable information then it is platform information.

With that said, *most* train lines have their own dedicated platform. Shinkansen trains will always have different platforms from regular trains.

Once you pop out of a train you're immediately greeted with many many signs telling which trains depart from which platform and where to make the transfer.

Each station is different so there's no on bill fits all, some stations tracks 1-2 share the same platform, at another station tracks 1-2 might have two different platforms.

Some stations are bigger and some stations are smaller, also platform numbers don't help sometimes, because take for example Tokyo Station is a huge station. It is alot better to Know the NAME of the train line rather then the platform number. At Tokyo Station for example Platform 1 can refer to anything, it can refer to Platform 1 keiyo line, it can refer to Platform 1 Sobu Line/Narita Express, it can also refer to platform 1 for the Chuo Line.

. 2008/9/21 17:33
I was referring to Hikari trains from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka and Kyoto to Narita Airport.

From Tokyo to Kyoto I always try to change at Shinagawa Station from JR lines to Shinkansen, I just like Shinagawa Station better.
With that said, I can't comment on how hard or easy it is for you, are you starting at Tokyo Station? Or are you coming in from another train line and connecting to the SHinkansen at Tokyo Station?

As for Kyoto - Osaka. The Shinkansen goes from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka Station, however this route shouldn't be bad if you missed the train, becacuse the regular rapid trains between Kyoto and Osaka travel almost as fast as the Shinkansen, in fact it is faster if you count that the Shinkansen goes to Shin-Osaka station, and the rapid trains go to Osaka Station actual. (Reference the Japan-guide pages on travel between osaka-kyoto).

From Kyoto back to Narita Airport, as I mentioned above, if you can make a transfer from Shinkansen in Tokyo, do it at Shinagawa Station to the Narita Express, its a lot easier and smoother. Doing it at Tokyo Station requires one to go from top floor Shinkansen platforms to basement level Narita Express/Sobu line platform.

thanks 2008/9/21 18:57
Thanks a lot. (I won't buy the JR Pass since I'm travelling Tokyo-Kanazawa-Kyoto-Tokyo, and the stay in Kanazawa is so long that all the trips wouldn't take place in 21 consecutive days... )
by Helena rate this post as useful

Thanks again, John 2008/9/21 20:17
From Tokyo to Kyoto I always try to change at Shinagawa Station from JR lines to Shinkansen, I just like Shinagawa Station better.
With that said, I can't comment on how hard or easy it is for you, are you starting at Tokyo Station? Or are you coming in from another train line and connecting to the SHinkansen at Tokyo Station?

We're starting at Kuramae Station. Shinagawa sounds like a good alternative. Jorudan shows connection to Shinagawa via Sengakuji. But it says direct. http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.html
Do we need to change trains or not in this case?

Another question on subways, I apologize if I'm a little off topic. Are there lifts in subway and rail stations? I hope not just stairs or we might have trouble with luggages...

. 2008/9/21 21:06
Sengakuji Station and transfer is a special case, because Kuramae is on the Toei Asakusa Line, some trains on the Toei Asakusa Line continue running "through" onto the Keikyu Line, so some are "direct" trains that (where you don't change) and others you have to change.

Map 2008/9/23 05:32
http://www.jreast.co.jp/estation/stations/285.html

Max TOKI arrives at 11or12, Hakutaka departures from 1.
by Dejan rate this post as useful

.... 2008/10/18 05:33
By the way, just in case you use the Japan Rail Pass, note that the route via Echigo-Yuzawa is not fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass
Do you pay the extra on the train, or when you reserve your seat???
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/18 07:52
Do you pay the extra on the train, or when you reserve your seat???

On the train to the train attendant when he/she comes to check tickets.

You could theoretically buy it at the station (base fare and limited express ticket for section between Muikamachi and Saigata) in advance, but it is more complicated.

trains 2008/10/18 16:44
The trains schedules wouldn't mention 8 minutes or 5 minutes transfer time between trains if it wasn't possible for an average person to do so. I have used many long distance trains in Europe since I was 14 years old and have used Japanese trains for quite a while now. Although it seems totally impossible I have seen many times a crowd of people of all ages get off a train and another crowd get on,with suitcases, in as little as 2 minutes. It is the same with subways: you will find yourself packed with others like sardines, unable to move, and as you come near your station you find out that you are on the wrong side of the car. As the doors open on the other side of the car you try to move and somehow the whole crowd shift this way and that way and you are out of the train without a problem.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/10/19 06:20
Thanks Uji, your posts have been VERY helpful or this trip..we will have a JR Pass, so plan on reserving seats when we arrive in Tokyo a few days before we travel to Kanazawa. Thanks again.

another thought 2008/11/2 12:54
Looking on the map it seems a fair bit of the trip to Echigo Yuzawa is through tunnels..is this correct???? Is the scenery on this trip from Tokyo to Kanazawa actually through the alps and along the Japan Sea? We will be staying in Shinagawa, and it is actually quicker to go via Maibara to Kanazawa from there, but we thought we would do the Echigo Yuzawa bit for the scenery???Any suggestions gratefully recieved...

... 2008/11/3 18:43
Looking on the map it seems a fair bit of the trip to Echigo Yuzawa is through tunnels..is this correct????

Yes, there are lots of tunnels.

Is the scenery on this trip from Tokyo to Kanazawa actually through the alps and along the Japan Sea?

Yes, the section from Kanazawa via Toyama to Naoetsu is along the Sea of Japan. From Naoetsu to Echigo-Yuzawa it is inland. It is the more scenic route than traveling via Maibara and the Tokaido Shinkansen.

... 2008/11/4 06:44
Excellent: and again, thanks Uji: plans are taking shape well now: we have the time so scenic route it is

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread