Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Restaurant in Miyajima 2008/9/22 03:37
I will be bringing a few friends to Miyajima, and want to treat them to a nice dinner. However, not everyone that will be coming along is as into traditional Japanese cuisine as I am. Other parts of the trip we will be in Tokyo or Kyoto, so I'm not worried about feeding them there, but I can't find too much information about restaurants in Miyajima. I don't need anything too fancy, but this is for a special occasion so nothing too plain either. Does anybody know if there is a steakhouse on the island, or anything nearby, possibly at Miyajimaguchi by the ferry? Thanks.
by BPags  

... 2008/9/22 09:50
I think there are no restaurants for special occasions on Miyajima, especially for a dinner. Most restaurants on Miyajima are catering to tourists and close around 6pm. The only good meals on Miyajima are available to the guests who stay on the islands' ryokan. Overnight stays include s fancy (Japanese style) dinner and breakfast.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Miyajimaguchi? 2008/9/22 10:00
Thank you for the reply. Are there any restaurants off the island, at Miyajimaguchi? I think I saw that the last ferry leaves for Miyajima after 10PM, so we can leave the island if necessary. We will be staying at a ryokan, so we can eat there if we need to. I just want to get a feel for all of our options. Thanks again.

Brian
by BPags rate this post as useful

Hiroshima 2008/9/22 23:47
Hiroshima would also be an option because it is only 30 minutes by train from Miyajimaguchi
by .. rate this post as useful

restaurants 2008/9/23 02:58
Miyajimaguchi is a suburb of Hiroshima so there are all sorts of stores and restaurants near the ferries dock,on the way to the JR station a couple of blocks away.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

Yes.... 2008/9/23 11:54
...but I'd still rather eat on Miyajima ifit's possible in the evening.
Anybody know a place open after 6 pm?
by Connie Chiwa rate this post as useful

Food in Miyajima 2008/9/23 13:08
I've not been to Miyajima yet but according to the Miyajima walking map that I downloaded from the bottom of this page http://www.japan-guide.com/tss/hiroshimapref/hiroshimapref.h... , the Kocho restaurant at the Kinsuikan Hotel is open until 11pm.The Lonely Planet Japan guidebook also lists a coffee shop that serves finger foods called Itsuki being open until midnight.
by NekoKate rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/23 15:41
....well spotted Kate! Thank you.
by Connie rate this post as useful

Wanatabe Inn 2008/9/24 01:20
Wanatabe Inn has a restaurant.
Food (and staying over) highly recommended.
http://www.auberge-watanabe.com/english/index.html
by Olve rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/9/24 09:53
Non-traditional food is a lot harder to get in Miyajima than I thought. We'll probably end up going to Hiroshima for dinner. I thought it was much further than 30 minutes by train, so hadn't really considered it before. I'm sure they have much more options too. Thanks again.

-Brian
by BPags rate this post as useful

Non-traditional food 2008/9/24 12:54
Miyajima is fairly small and from what I saw when visiting the Ryokans and restaurants only served "traditional" Japanese food. I guess the one thing you could get for someone that doesn't like fish would be tonkatsu.
by .. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread