Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

Question about trains 2008/9/27 17:14
Hi... first time going to Japan in December and big question.

On the Sanyo/Tokaido shinkansen line going to Nissan Stadium, is this included in any rail pass offered by JR rail?

Am in the country for 8 days.

thanks!
by Simon Overall  

... 2008/9/27 18:57
The International Stadium Yokohama seems to have been renamed Nissan Stadium (how distasteful!). So, I assume that you are asking whether the Japan Rail Pass is valid on shinkansen trains, which stop at Shin-Yokohama Station along the Tokaido Shinkansen.

Yes, you can use the Japan Rail Pass on hikari and kodama trains along the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen. But you cannot use nozomi trains:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/27 18:57
It is located near ShinYokohama Station, so its valid on many different rail passes offered by JR. From JR East pass (you can't take the Shinkansen though) to the nationwide JR pass which you can take the Shinkansen.

Depends exactly where in Japan you're traveling to to see which pass really meets your needs.
by John rate this post as useful

to avoid misunderstandings 2008/9/27 19:01
I assumed that you asked about the Japan Rail Pass, probably because you mentioned the "Sanyo" in Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen, implying that you will make some long distance trips.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/9/27 19:28
Thanks for the help guys.. am actually going to be going to the Club World Cup with most games at Nissan Stadium in Yokohama.

And hopefully some side trips if I have the time.
by Simon Overall rate this post as useful

Who 2008/9/28 06:08
I know the world probably has a lot of S O 's but you don't drive trains in Melbourne do you ?
by RodW rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/28 11:35
If you're going to commute from Tokyo to Yokohama daily for 7 days, the JR Pass will not pay for itself. Don't buy it.
by Tokyogal rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyogal 2008/9/28 11:58
Won't be travelling there everday.

Is there something else you would recommend instead then though?

location 2008/9/28 12:39
Where are you planning to book a hotel?

Shouldn't buy JR pass if you fly into and leave out of NRT and stay in Greater Tokyo all ur time in Japan.

by Ts rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/28 13:29
Simon its really hard to recommend or not recommend a pass without knowing what your trip plan is? Just planning to be in Tokyo area only or traveling to Osaka/Kyoto in 7 days etc.

Re: Travel plans 2008/9/28 15:24
Basically I will be going to Yokohama about 3-4 times.

Also want to visit Mt Fuji/Saitama, as well as some other places.

Am staying in central Tokyo

fastest and cheapest 2008/9/28 16:01
National Stadium -(10 mins walk)- Tokyo Metro Gaienmae Station -(3 stops)- Shibuya -(20 mins by Toyoko line, Tokyu railway)- Kikuna station -(JR Yokohama line, 1 stop) - Shin-Yokohama -(15 mins walk)- Nissan Stadium

Total 530yen!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8Dky%C5%AB_T%C5%8Dyoko_Lin...

To the convenience, you should find a hotel around Shibuya or on subway Ginza line between Shibuya and Gaiennmae stations, if rates dont matter.

. 2008/9/28 16:02
Basically I will be going to Yokohama about 3-4 times.

Also want to visit Mt Fuji/Saitama, as well as some other places.

Am staying in central Tokyo

Pretty much then you don't want to be wasting your money on a Japan Railpass.

Also not sure what you mean by "visit see mount fuji" as December is hardly the time of year to want to actually go to Mount Fuji.

Saitama is north of Tokyo and Yokohama is south of Tokyo within reasonable travel distance where a pass isn't really necessary and probably is cheaper with just regular tickets.

Depending on where in Tokyo you are coming from, ShinYokohama is on the JR Yokohama Line, much cheaper to get to then taking a Shinkansen, though it might be a little longer/short again depending on where in Tokyo you are coming from.

Travel plans 2008/9/28 16:05
Will be staying in Hamamatsucho.

. 2008/9/28 16:10
Take the JR Keihin Tohoku Line to Higashi Kanagawa Station, then change to the Yokohama Line to ShinYokohama Station.

450yen one way/40mins travel time.

Hamamatsucho - ShinYokohama 2008/9/28 16:20
By Shinkansen
2870yen, 30mins, transfer at Shinagawa station.

By passenger train
450yen, 40mins, transfer at Higashikanagawa

Hyperdia
http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Travel plans 2008/9/28 16:28
Ahhhh.. I see... thanks.

Is it worth getting Suica & N'EX at all?

. 2008/9/28 16:57
Well yes, its a good value from Narita Airport (remember it can ONLY be purchased at Nartia Airport TO Tokyo), all you get is a discount NEX ticket to Tokyo, and a Suica Card (aside from its design, is a regular suica card).

The Suica card reduces your need to purchase a new ticket each time. So yes its good to have.

Re: Travel plans 2008/10/2 17:06
Would I need to book Tokaido Shinkansen to go to Shin-Yokohama?

If so whereabouts can I do this please?

. 2008/10/2 17:17
Simon if you don't mind me asking, but why on earth would you want to pay for the Shinkansen to ShinYokohama Station. Yes I know some people out there are like "for the experience" but really, its 6x the price, and if you factor in the transfer times, its 30mins vs. 45minutes for the local train.

But anycase to answer your question, you would need to purchase a Shinkansen ticket, but the train also has unreserved seats, so no you really don't need to spend money on a seat reservation for such a short ride.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 28

1 2
next

reply to this thread