Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

pre-student visa age restrictions 2008/9/29 11:29
my partner (not married) has been offered a job in Japan for 2 years. I would like to also move to japan and plan on studying japanese full time in a language school.

Are there any restrictions on age when applying for pre college visa

I have heard that pre-college visa may not be available if I have been out of school for more then 5 year - is this true

I appreciate any help you can give
by djr68  

pre-college visa 2008/9/29 13:42

Only conditions I found were "age 18 or over" and
"completed higher education institutions with high school or above". So I guess you are qualified as applicant.
by bobo rate this post as useful

Similar Situation 2008/11/11 17:21
I am 27 yrs old and living with my boyfriend in Japan--like you, I decided to enroll in a full-time Japanese language program in order to stay here on a student visa. My age was never an issue when it came to applying for a pre-college visa. I know I've read somewhere that having been out of school for a certain number of years before applying to study on a student visa can hurt your chances of having your application accepted by Immigration, but from my understanding, this is just one of the ways in which they screen applicants to make sure they are serious about studying and aren't just using the student visa as a way to get into the country and work ilegally or something. In my case, my boyfriend (who is has a working visa) is my financial guarantor, and because we are not married and therefore have no legal ties to each other, he had to submit a written statement of our relationship along with a pledge to support me financially throughout the duration of my visa. Normally, if a person is younger and within a couple years of finishing school in their home country, their parents would be their financial guarantor.

In any case, your school will most likely take care of submitting your application for you--usually they can spot something on your application that could be a red flag to Immigration, and they'll work with you on it.

Maybe this is more info than you need. Good luck!
by Jessi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread