Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Thru Pass 2008/10/1 03:07
Does anyone know if Kansai Thru Pass can be use for travelling from Kyoto to Himeji?

Thanks.
by JN  

... 2008/10/1 10:32
Yes, it can be used along the Hanshin and Sanyo Railways. In fact, there are direct trains between Hanshin Umeda (below JR Osaka Station) and Sanyo-Himeji Station every 15 minutes. See here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3504.html?aFROM=2157_3500
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/1 12:59
Thanks Uji.

I have gone to the web site given by you. I noticed by using the Kansai Thru Pass the travelling time from Kyoto to Himeji is quite long compare (45mins + 10 mins walk + 90mins) to the JR West Kansai Area Pass(90mins).

As I will be travelling to Osaka-Nara-Himeji-Kyoto, do you think a 3 days JR West Kansai Area Pass will better as time is also a issue here.

I understand that the JR West Kansai Area Pass do not cover local subway and buses so in Osaka (visit Osaka Castle, Central and Osaka Bay),perhaps I will just pay for the subway fare. As for Nara (Nara Park) and Himeji (Himeji Castle), I do not need local transport coz it is walking distance from the station. But in Kyoto (visit Norther, Eastern, Central and time permit Southern), again I purchase the local bus card. What do think, please give me your opinion and suggestion.

I can purchase the ''Puratto Kodama Economy Plan'' for Kyoto to Tokyo?? Intend to leave Kyoto on a Sunday (19/10) to Tokyo, do you think it will be difficult to reserve a seat on the Kodoma train??

Appreciate so much for your advice.
by JN rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/1 14:43
Indeed, JR trains are much faster on that route. So, if time is important, then you might want to look into a JR option. The JR West Kansai pass can make sense if you make a round trip to Himeji. I personally always use prepaid cards to get around. Not only are they convenient, but often they are actually just as cheap if not cheaper than passes. However, prepaid cards only start to make sense if you stay in a region for more than two days.

I can purchase the ''Puratto Kodama Economy Plan'' for Kyoto to Tokyo??

Yes, but I personally don't think the plan is worth the effort.

some concrete info 2008/10/1 15:34
1. Osaka-Jo koen station(means Osaka Castle Park station) is a JR station, so if you travel from (e.g.)JR Osaka station to Osaka castle, your travel is covered by JR pass.(Osaka castle is served by subway too)

If your "Osaka bay" means Unversal Studio Japan, its closest station, Universal City station, is also a JR station, thus your travel is covered by JR pass too.

but those doesn't necessarily means you should buy JR pass. As Uji says, the distance from a city to another is not far apart in Kansai Region, and an intercity single ticket and/or/plus 1day city pass plan is often better especially when traveling to/within Kyoto and Osaka.

As for 1day return trip to Himeji, railpass option(preferably JR west pass) is ALWAYS cheaper than single tickets.
by Ts rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/1 15:50
Puratto Kodama detailed info:
http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/08/puratto-kodama-disco...

JR West Pass info:
http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/09/japan-railpass-valid...

e.g. for 12th October, from Kyoto to Tokyo there are vacancies on a majority of Kodama trains as far as I have checked online now.

However, if you fly into and out of Narita in a seven-day window, or even if you don't, you might purchase a seven-day Japan Railpass for 28,300 yen. You can use the Shinkansen between Kyoto and Himeji in that case.

NRT to Tokyo: 2,940 yen
Tokyo to Kyoto 13,220 yen x 2
Kyoto to Himeji approx. 5,000 yen x 2
At this point, the total cost is 39,380 yen, as opposed to 28,300 yen JR Pass.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

.... 2008/10/1 18:50
First -- THANKS to all.

Uji, could you enlighten me why you do not think the Puratto Kodama Economy Plan is worth the effort. I thought it is cheaper than the other JR train from Kyoto to Tokyo. Maybe, you can advice what pass should I get for my transfer.

OK, let me do some calculation first based on the information given before I knock on your door again.

Once again, thanks a million.

... 2008/10/1 19:26
Hi Uji,

Just went to the web site given by optimistk with regards to the Puratto Kodama Economy Plan. I see it is not so flexible on the timing. Is that why you said it is not worth the effort?

. 2008/10/2 05:39
You could refer to the following page of my blog.
http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/07/japan-rail-pass.html

As you see, a majority of trains on the timetable from Tokyo is now the Nozomi. What type of Shinkansen train you should take entirely depends on what you give first priority to. If you are after flexibility and quick travel, you better not purchase a Japan Railpass, that is only applicable to Hikari and Kodama trains. Just purchase individual tickets. If you don't mind less frequency of the Hikari, the JR Pass would be the best bet.

my reasons 2008/10/2 08:18
Because of the inflexibility, the fact that you have to buy it at least one day in advance and the fact that it is only available at specific (sometimes difficult to find for foreign tourists) travel agencies.

But if the deal provided by the plan looks really good to you, you might not agree with my reasons.

KIX to Himeji 2008/10/4 00:58
Knock! Knock! any advisor on the followings?

I have changed my plan slightly. Instead of staying a nite in Osaka now I thought I will make Kyoto my base for 4 days arriving on 16th Oct around 8.35am.

Since I can't check in to the hotel so early, so I thought of visiting Himeji using the 1 day JR West Kansai Area Pass. Will take the Kansai Airport Special Rapid Service to Osaka Station then change to JR Special Rapid train (Shin-Kaisoku) to Himeji (is all the train infor correct?). Hope to arrive by noon (leave luggage in station)- spend 4 to 5 hours there then take train to Kyoto.

Next day, will do Osaka and Nara since they are nearer.

How? Is these workable??

Awaiting for your advice. TKS!

. 2008/10/4 03:46
**I have changed my plan slightly. Instead of staying a nite in Osaka now I thought I will make Kyoto my base for 4 days arriving on 16th Oct around 8.35am.
Since I can't check in to the hotel so early, so I thought of visiting Himeji using the 1 day JR West Kansai Area Pass. Will take the Kansai Airport Special Rapid Service to Osaka Station then change to JR Special Rapid train (Shin-Kaisoku) to Himeji (is all the train infor correct?). Hope to arrive by noon (leave luggage in station)- spend 4 to 5 hours there then take train to Kyoto.
Next day, will do Osaka and Nara since they are nearer.
How? Is these workable??**

e.g.
Kansai Airport (KIX) 9:46--(limited express Haruka/Take the non-reserved section onthe JR West Pass.)--10:40 Shin-Osaka 10:54--(special rapid)--12:01 Himeji

The visit to the castle takes 4 hours in total from the station.

Himeji 15:57--(special rapid)--17:29 Kyoto

Himeji Castle visit guide:
http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/10/visit-to-himeji-cast...

JR West Pass and Haruka train info:
http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/09/japan-railpass-valid...

Thank You 2008/10/5 00:32
HI Optimisk,

Thanks for the infor. Now I know I can actually take the train from Shin-Osaka instead of Osaka Station to Himeji.

Can you kindly advice me if it is worth to get another JR West Kansai Area Pass for my trip to Nara - Osaka - Kyoto the next day or just buy single fare and what train line I should take. All these train lines thing is so confusing.

Thank you sooooooo much!

. 2008/10/5 00:49
I might suggest you to buy a Kansai Thru Pass for the Kyoto - Nara - Osaka - Kyoto route.

The private companies are more convenient on the route, and all the subway and bus rides can be covered by the pass, which the JR West Pass is lacking in providing.

reply to this thread