Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel cost: Tokyo - Fukuoka (Hakata) 2008/10/1 18:05
I am going to Japan in christmas, and while there, my bf told me he wants to take me to Fukuoka to meet his parents. But the thing is, I'm a student, and don't have a lot of money... I've tried to check out Hyperdia and also several airplane companies in Japan, but can't find anything below about 22'000yen... I can't try to use seishun 18 kippu because we can't use so long time either, because we only have a few days until we go back to Tokyo.
Is there anyone who knows of some company or discount? And before someone tell me to check out japan-guide, I've already looked here^_- all airplane-companies listed here has blackout while I'm in Japan-_-;
by ??  

... 2008/10/2 09:04
And before someone tell me to check out japan-guide, I've already looked here^_- all airplane-companies listed here has blackout while I'm in Japan

Then you have not read carefully enough.

Skymark Airlines does not even have the concept of "black out dates"! Their regular one way fare is below 20,000 yen, and discount fares start from below 8000 yen.

Reservations are possible online from two months befor tarvel date:
http://www.skymark.jp/en/
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/2 09:09
I think your best bet is to get the JR Pass for 28,300 yen and take the Shinkansen Hikari. It takes a little over 6 hours and one transfer to Hakata since you have to take Hikari Shinkansen (no direct Nozomi with the pass.) I know 28,300 yen might sounds a lot but we, Japanese residents, have to pay 43,440 yen for the same round trip from Tokyo to Hakata. So you're getting a bargain!
by Tokyogal rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/10/2 09:20
Uji: Thank you for the reply^^
I did actually check out skymark's web-site, but it will only show 2 months ahead, and I need to know further ahead than that.

Tokyogal: Thank you for the suggestion^^
I know that I get it a lot cheaper than people in Japan, but because I can't afford more than 20000yen in total cost for the trip tokyo-fukuoka-tokyo, JR pass is out of the question. To even be able to save 20000yen is very difficult for me -_-
by ?? rate this post as useful

Bus may be cheapest 2008/10/2 10:02
If you could be patient to sit still for long time , you can also take a bus to Fukuoka, but sooo long trip!
Anyway,Fukuoka is not so close from Tokyo even though Japan is narrow country.
Have a good trip
Ken
by Kento rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/2 10:19
Skymark has higher prices and less discounts during the peak travel days. Just to give you an idea, here are the discount ticket prices you can expect:

Before December 12, you can expect the lowest prices available.

From around December 13 to around December 25, you can expect prices to be slightly higher (regular one way fare is increased to around 24,000 yen), but most discount tickets are still available:

The "Sky Bargain" (purchased at least 35 days before departure) will probably be available for around 11,000 yen ONE WAY, but note that these limited number tickets sell out within minutes if not seconds after going on sale two months before travel date from 9:30am Japan time.

The next cheapest fare is the Maewari 21, which has to be purchased at least 21 days before departure. You can expect a one way fare of around 13,000 yen.

And then you have various steps of Maewari fares up to Maewari 1, which has to be purchased at least one day in advance of departure. These will probably cost around 21,000 yen.

Note that early morning flights tend to be around 2000 yen cheaper than later flights.

Between around December 26 and around January 5 is the absolute peak season, during which, I am afraid, you probably will have to pay regular one way fares or close to it. Not only that, but the regular fare is further increased to around 26,000 yen.

In other words, you might be able to do the round trip for around 25,000 yen by Skymark, if

1) you succeed purchasing discount tickets by making reservations as soon as they go on sale two months before departure at 9:30am and

2) you do not fly during the absolute peak season

... 2008/10/2 10:22
Highway buses are the other means of transport where you might be able to do the round trip for around 20,000 yen.

But rater than taking a direct bus, it is probably cheaper to stop along the way in Osaka, because the Tokyo-Osaka route is highly competitive, resulting in very cheap rates.

Again, dur to the popularity of the buses around New Year, I recommend to reserve as early as possible.

The following website has very low rates and allows reservations in English:
http://www.123bus.net/index.html?agencyCode=4268

Thank you^^ 2008/10/3 18:08
Kento: Thank you for the suggestion^^ I thought about bus, but we only have a few days in Fukuoka, so taking the bus may result in way too little time there. Thank you, I will^^

Uji: wow, thank you so much for such a great explanation^^ It's very kind of you^^ I will talk with my bf, and try to see if I'm able to save enough money. Hopefully I will because I really want to meet his family^^ Unfortunately we were thinking of going around the time of peak season, but maybe we will try to go before then. Thank you so much^^

by ?? rate this post as useful

reply to this thread