Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima to Narita for 3:30 flight 2008/10/1 22:13
Can I get from Hiroshima in the morning to Narita airport in time for a 3:30 PM flight using Hikari shinkansen and rail pass? I'd like to get to the airport a couple hours ahead of time. Is this possible, or should I take Nozomi and pay extra?
by bones  

. 2008/10/2 10:51
Refer to the connection chart.

http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/09/train-connections-be...

It's possible, but you should be in Tokyo the night before the flight out.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

I wouldn't try it 2008/10/2 15:06
The earliest train out of Hiroshima is 0622 which will not get to Narita #2 until 1256. This does not leave enough time to check in etc.
You will have to do it the day before....or fly on the day.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima to Narita for 3:30 flight 2008/10/2 15:55
Even though JR is extremely reliable, it has happened to me one time that the shinkansen didn't ride because of snow and another time because of an approaching typhoon. Earthquakes too can halt the train traffic until the tracks are inspected. Therefore, in general, I always make sure that I stay in a Tokyo hotel the night before my return from Narita so I have some leeway.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Thanks. 2008/10/2 21:22
Thanks for all your help.
by bones rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/2 22:00
The earliest train out of Hiroshima is 0622 which will not get to Narita #2 until 1256. This does not leave enough time to check in etc.

Actually I would disagree, having flown out of NRT too many times to count 2hrs 30mins is enough time to check in and clear all formalities to catch a flight.

Though there are possibilities of delays on your route over, it is still rare for the Tokadio Shinkansen to be delayed.

If you did pay extra for the Nozomi you could arrive even earlier. If you arrive in Tokyo a day earlier you factor in Hotel costs though it would still be cheaper.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/3 01:12
Shinkansen's recent service disruptions:

1) At Maibara Station, Hikari #373 bound for Okayama from Tokyo hit a man who was standing on the passage track at 15:30 on 8th July. The person died immediately. and the Hikari train made an emergency stop 2km ahead of the accident point. It stopped at that point for 2 hours and the passengers were stranded on the train because of the police investigation of the incident. The entire Tokaido Shinkansen service was disrupted for 2.5 hours. 17 people who couldn't go home because of the delay stayed overnight on the Shinkansen carriages provided by JR Central at Tokyo Station.
The identity of the person who committed suicede is still unknown.

2) In Shizuoka Prefecture, a man from Fukuoka opened one of the exit doors via the emergency cock on the running Nozomi #150 bound for Tokyo from Shin-Osaka, and jumped out of the train. It was 20:10 on 22nd April. The train made an emergency stop. The authority found a part of his body on the bridge over the River Tenryu. The service resumed slightly past 23:00.

3) On 24th August, because of heavy rain between Odawara and Mishima, 25 trains' service was suspended, and 126 trains were delayed by up to 6.5 hours from the early evening to late at night.

4) The next day, in the morning, 19 trains were suspended, and 87 trains were delayed by up to 2.5 hours because of the same reason..

Source of #3 and 4:
http://www.nikkansports.com/general/news/f-gn-tp0-20080825-4...
by optimistk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread