Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo night-time photography 2008/10/5 17:38
How well suited is the observation deck on the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building for night photography?
Based on experiences in other countries, I have the following specific questions:

* Do you need a permit? It may sound ridiculous, but many places do.
* Can a tripod be used? This link seems to indicate that it cannot be used: http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/hoihoi123/diary/200807110000/
* Is it possible to get a better shot without a window (reflecting the light inside)?

Any other information you might have about night-time photography in Tokyo including other locations is of course more than welcome.
by Hoshisato  

Night photography 2008/10/5 19:49
Hoshisato,

I've never been there myself, but the sign in the image you link to does indeed say that tripods should not be used. (The reason is presumably because the place can be quite crowded, and tripods are a nuisance and a hazard to others.)
Details of opening hours are provided on the official website (in English)...
http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/TMG/observat.htm
You don't need a permit, although it might technically be required for commercial photography.

One of the most popular night views in Tokyo is of the Rainbow bridge from Odaiba.
See the photo on the Wikipedia page...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(Tokyo)
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Just to add 2008/10/5 20:02
We just happened to be there earlier this evening - it was not packed (Sunday afternoon) and people were taking photos with their small hand-held digital cameras or mobile phone cameras. As the note said, no tripod is allowed because it can get crowded - people move around from one window to the next constantly to look at the views all around.

There is no outdoor (meaning no window glass) area where you can get out to take photos. But considering that the photos in the link you provided were taken through the window (with that little stand that lets you slant the camera to look downward without having to hold it in your hands), the reflection might not be that bad at all.
by AK rate this post as useful

Bean bag 2008/10/6 00:31
Thanks everybody! I do have a beanbag "Pod" that I can use similarly to the stand used in the link I posted above.
Any suggestions as from where to have the best view over the Rainbow Bridge?
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Night photography 2008/10/6 10:25
Hoshisato,

For the Odaiba/Rainbow Bridge view, anywhere along the wooden promenade in front of Aqua City and Decks is good. The observation dome (sphere) at the top of the Fui TV building also gives good views, although you'll be shooting through glass.
See the page below for location details.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html

I haven't been there yet myself, but the building at Roppongi Hills offers an open-air observatory, which is the highest in Japan, so that might give some good views.

Other suggestions include Shinjuku, Akihabara, and Ginza for shots of the garish neon at night.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Tips 2008/10/6 20:09
Although a tripod is not permitted I had no problems using a "Gorillapod" which is a very short (10-inch) flexible tripod, perfect for travel. Your beanbagpod may be sufficient of course. For shooting through glass I took along a black jacket which I used to cover the camera by holding the jacket up against the glass and completely covering the camera and gorillapod. This prevents internal reflections from showing in your photo. You can then trigger the shutter via either the built in timer release or via a shutter release cable. There are nice ledges for most windows which are suitable for placing your camera & gorillapod on. I had no problems taking photos with exposures of up to 15 seconds using this technique, and longer would have been easy.

There are some nice night time views from most angles of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building.

If you like night cityscape photography you should also consider a visit to Sunshine 60 in Ikebukuro (620yen) and Tokyo Night View in Mori Tower, Roppongi (1500yen).

Hope you get some cool photos!
by Angus rate this post as useful

Re: Tips 2008/10/6 21:10
Thanks Angus!
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

reply to this thread