Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Intinerary Help 2008/10/7 01:58
My husband and I are travelling to Japan November 6th. We have four days (+/-) set aside for visiting the Japanese Alps. We will be starting in Tokyo and wanted to end up in Kyoto. We are hoping to make it to:

-Nagano/Yudanaka to see the snow monkeys
-Takayama
-Shirakawa
-Kiso Valley

1)What is the most efficient order to see everything?
2)Can you get from the Kiso Valley to Takayama or do you have to go through Matsumoto or Nagoya?
3)Can you recommend a good onsen in any of the areas? I am hoping to find something with a rotemburo with a good view that allows mixed bathing.
4)Can you get from Nagano to Kustasu? Do you recommend Kusatsu?
5) We are hoping to "splurge" on a nicer ryokan for one night ($300-$400). I would love to find somewhere with a private rotemburo. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Amy
by amy_sue  

Drop Kiso, you can visit 3 town 2008/10/24 12:53
Hi Amy,
It seems not easy to visit these 4 towns. I will drop Kiso valley – I think you want to visit Tsumagome or magome.
To go to yudanaka, you can use Bullet train from Tokyo to Nagano and buses from Nagano to Yudanaka. To go to Takayama, you can use buses from Matsumoto. Nagano to Matsumoto, you can use JR chuo-line or buses connecting directly. I think there are buses from Takayama to Shirakawa. And you can use JR from takayama to Nagoya. And finally you can use Tokaido bullet train to Kyoto.
Hiro
by Hiro rate this post as useful

Agreed 2008/10/24 16:26
I would drop Kiso Valley too. There is not enough time for it. If however you can get more time it is worth a stay. Also look into doing a stay in Shirakawa. You can stay in a farm house of old and meet other guest at dinner. Everyone eats together in the centeral room. Have a great time... I am sure you will with what ever you will doing over there.
by Dave03 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread