Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to Tokyo after 19:00? 2008/10/7 06:56
Hi All, I just booked my first trip to Japan in February (can't wait) and am currently working out my itinery. I arrive in Osaka at 18:50 (from Melbourne) and was wondering after picking up luggage and all that stuff, will I be able to get on a train to Tokyo? Is it physically and mentally possible?

Also, if you guys have any tips on accomodation and places to see, please let me know. I am currently reading through all the other questions and answers to work out my itinery :)

Thanks in advance
by danjapan  

. 2008/10/7 14:08
**I just booked my first trip to Japan in February (can't wait) and am currently working out my itinery. I arrive in Osaka at 18:50 (from Melbourne) and was wondering after picking up luggage and all that stuff, will I be able to get on a train to Tokyo? Is it physically and mentally possible?**

KIX 19:16--(Haruka)--20:10 Shin-Osaka 20:23--(Hikari/JR Pass applicable)--23:10 Tokyo

KIX 19:46--(Haruka)--20:37 Shin-Osaka 21:00--(Nozomi/JR Pass inapplicable)--23:32 Tokyo

You might also consider flying if you definitely get to Tokyo on that night.

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/
Airpass info:
http://gutereise09.blogspot.com/2008/07/japan-airpass.html
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Osaka 2008/10/7 21:01
Hello
Its better to take rest in a hotel nearby the sation.You can visit some places like aquarium and others in Osaka.
Next day by shinkansen (3hours) you can come to Tokyo.
by CMK rate this post as useful

Osaka to Tokyo 2008/10/7 21:20
Dan,

I wouldn't recommend it.
The last shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo leaves at 2120 (Nozomi 54 arriving in Tokyo at 2345).
To catch that, you would need to catch the 2016 Haruka airport express train from Kansai Airport (arriving at Shin-Osaka at 2107).
So it's technically possible - provided your flight isn't delayed, there isn't a big queue at Immigration (not unusual), and you know where to go and where to buy tickets. After a long flight from Australia? I wouldn't fancy it even as an experienced rail traveller in Japan.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thankyou 2008/10/8 06:19
Hey all.. Thanks for the informative replies. I'm thinking that getting on a +3 hour train ride is sounding more and more daunting, especially after being on a plane for 14 hrs.

If I arrive at 18:50 on Tuesday, what would you guys recommend I do in Osaka? Is everything closed as it is out of business hours and a working day? Or is Japan a city that never sleeps?
by dan2japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread