Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Police 2008/10/9 09:05
Any ideas on the wage of the police in japan? Ive just about finished high school and i want to live in japan, once im fluent in japanese i want to consider becoming a cop. Serious question :)
by Lloyd  

... 2008/10/9 10:47
You may want to see these posts. It appears that only Japanese citizens can become police officers.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+51933

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+55349
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Maybe 2008/10/9 10:51
you can go into security or something. As the previous poster said, you have to be Japanese (which is not impossible but takes a long time, etc.) to become a policeman, but security or somewhere in that kind of area would be more possible.
by Andrew rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/10/9 11:45
Okay i might consider studying in japan then, if not il try my hand at k-1 haha.cheers
by Lloyd rate this post as useful

Relax 2008/10/9 23:37
Relax guys. Lloyd asked a harmless question. Most likely he is from a multi-cultural country where anyone can gain citizenship and become a police officer. He probably doesn't understand how xenophobic Japanese society is. No reason to bite his head off.

I live in a country with a fairly open immigration policy. I see and hear about people immigrating to my country all the time. Because of that it really surprises me when I read about countries with very restrictive immigration policies. It becomes hard to understand why your country is so open and others are so closed (like Japan).
by ... rate this post as useful

Answer 2008/10/10 00:01
I do not know were you are from but most countries I know especially in Europe require people to be citizen of the country to become a cop, a military or a politician. This is a simple fact to avoid a country to be ruled by foreigners. You can not be a judge or a prosecutor if you are not a citizen. Even in multicultural USA you have to be american to work as a cop, why some american on this board want to be cop in Japan when in the same time japanese can not be cop in USA with japanese citizenship ?

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos160.htm#training
Most police and detectives learn much of what they need to know on the job, often in their agencyfs police academy. Civil service regulations govern the appointment of police and detectives in most States, large municipalities, and special police agencies, as well as in many smaller jurisdictions. Candidates must be U.S. citizens,usually at least 20 years old, and must meet rigorous physical and personal qualifications.

Japanese do not want to be ruled by foreigners. This is not racism, this is a simple principle of sovereignty.
by Banana Republic rate this post as useful

Police 2008/10/10 05:48
There is more at stake than mere citizenship when it comes to jobs like being a policeman (and some other jobs). You have to be a native of the country--or have become one at a young age-- to understand not only the language perfectly --including slang- but even more importantly the thousands of things that aren't written in books or explained in schools but that all natives learn intuitively as they grow up. An adult UK citizen moving to the USA-and vice versa--or an adult French citizen moving to Quebec--and vice versa--are lost in their new country because all things are done very differently.It takes many many years for an adult to learn these new ways and many are never comfortable with the new ways. I have met policemen, politicians,lawyers in Canada and France (I worked in health care) that at first glance looked "foreign" but their first words and gestures revealed them to be raised in their respective countries.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

not always 2008/10/20 17:45
That having been said its not always the case about the military anyways in the US atleast you can join the military to get your citizenship and its not something new either and nothing against those people either some of my co-workers in the Air Force where from other countrys serving to get their greencard( you still have to go through a lot of stuff but its a lot faster when it comes to getting everything approved if you serve) and as for the language my co-workers spoke english though a few of them had massive accents.
by Airforced rate this post as useful

cops 2008/10/20 18:48
The military is different from the police. I am from Europe where, until 2000, it was compulsory in many countries for ALL fit young males to spend several years in the army. So I did--we weren't even payed--for 2 years plus. One of the first thing we were told is that in case of war we had a high chance to die or be badly wounded. In that case being a citizen is immaterial. This is why France has the famous Foreign Legion (now stationed near Marseille in metropolitan France) made of foreign men who, in many cases, escaped from jail or joined to avoid jail. Policemen are very different and in many countries they now must have university degrees.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/20 20:49
If I come from Mexico holding a green card (not citizen), can I apply for jobs like police officers, fire-fighters, FBI agents...?

Speaking the Japanese language and citizenship are two different things. You have to fullfill both requirements for any government jobs.
by TW rate this post as useful

reply to this thread