Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese for Protext? 2008/10/11 18:16
Hello, I'm using ProTEXt, a document system for typesetting. Don't you know if there's any way how to add Japanese characters for creating documents in Japanese? What TEX systems do you use in Japan?
by Alena  

. 2008/10/11 21:00
I was using Japanese LaTeX on UNIX when I was a university student (a dozen years ago).
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/11 23:56

Why use TEX documents?
Just use open office, it's free to download, works with linux/mac/windows systems and has japanese. You can slab on images, use auto table of contents and export to pdf or ppt just like latex does.

but a markup language just to type documents as well as the messsiness of creating tables!? dont bother with latex imo.
by ... rate this post as useful

CJK / JTeX 2008/10/12 03:59
Hi,

when processing a longer document in Japanese, it might be worth looking into the jtex/jlatex distribution. Otherwise, the package CJK is your friend: It allows you to typeset Japanese text (even with furigana, with the package "ruby") easily.

For more information, check out the numerous documentations of CJK, and/or search for the example document "SJIS.tex" on CTAN.

Good luck!
Kai

PS: Starting a discussion about all the many significant advantages of (La)TeX over text editors (including OpenOffice) is generally futile, because these discussions tend to get very long and very unproductive; nobody wants to cave in. Thus, I'll stop my posting now, though the temptation is definitely there. ^^
by Kai rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/10/12 15:18
Thanks Kai, your suggestion is very helpful.
by Alena rate this post as useful

reply to this thread