Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving from Hakone to Kawaguchi 2008/10/13 11:53
I'm visiting Japan in November and we would like to self-drive in the Hakone / Mount Fuji region. How long does it take to drive from Odawara Station to Kawaguchi? Is it difficult to drive (e.g. will I encounter any mountaineous regions along the way)? Are there any interesting attractions we can stop by along the way?

Alternatively, is it better to take a bus from Hakone region to Kawaguchi then rent a car from there to drive around Fuji Five Lakes region?
by lee  

... 2008/10/14 13:50
How long does it take to drive from Odawara Station to Kawaguchi?

I assume you mean Kawaguchiko or Lake Kawaguchi. If you drive through Hakone, it takes about two hours.

Is it difficult to drive (e.g. will I encounter any mountaineous regions along the way)?

There are some curvy roads in the Hakone region, but they are not particularly difficult to drive.

Are there any interesting attractions we can stop by along the way?

All of Hakone lies along the way:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html

Gotemba Outlet Mall is also popular among many tourists, and is located somewhat along the way.

Alternatively, is it better to take a bus from Hakone region to Kawaguchi then rent a car from there to drive around Fuji Five Lakes region?

Depends on how comfortable you feel driving in a foreign country, and how much luggage you have (if you have a lot of luggage, a car can be convenient) and where in Hakone you are staying (from some places in Hakone only one transfer of buses is required to reach Kawaguchiko; but from other places, it is a more complicated journey).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Check placenames carefully 2008/10/14 15:39
Since Kawaguchi is the name of an area in Saitama prefecture, far from where you want to go, make sure you say "Kawaguchiko" when telling people about your plans or you may be sent way off course.
by SHU rate this post as useful

Self Drive in Hakone Area 2009/3/16 14:39
Hi,

I've been to Hakone and feel that perhaps self drive allows more flexibility in planning our schedule. However, I would like to ask navigating ard Hakone and Mt Fuji area is easy?
Would we have to rely on maps or is there GRS available for rent from the rental car company?
Is it also viable to drive to Izu Peninsula from there?
Thanks!
by Cloey (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/16 16:38
I've been to Hakone and feel that perhaps self drive allows more flexibility in planning our schedule.

Self-drive is easy and pleasant in Hakone, the Fuji Five Lake area and the Izu Peninsula. Except on weekends and during holidays. Especially the streets of Hakone and along the east coast of the Izu Peninsula feature huge traffic jams on busy days. Then, it is better to avoid road bound traffic and use trains wherever possible.

Would we have to rely on maps or is there GRS available for rent from the rental car company?

The road network is simple. You should be able to get around relatively easily by using maps and/or GPS. Most rental cars in Japan have GPS.

Is it also viable to drive to Izu Peninsula from there?

Yes, I have done it multiple times. The toll roads on top of the mountain ridges are particularly nice. They are also less busy.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread