Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translation 2008/10/13 15:20
Hi. Can anyone explain what this sentence means in English? It is quite long and I got confused.

後者は、肩書きこそ(その主体となる人物の頼りなさゆえに)心許なく思えるが、当人の非常に微妙な意味での凄さは、すでに周知のことである。

Thank you!
by Bikers are crazy  

Since noone is responding... 2008/10/14 22:30
Are you an advanced student of the Japanese language who is trying to decipher the grammar of the sentence, or not a student but someone who picked up this description probably reading some comments about (maybe) some celebrity that you are fan of?
Just asking because how I answer would depend on what you are looking for...
by AK rate this post as useful

neither 2008/10/14 23:33
How about a curious person who read this sentence somewhere? Just an approximate idea will do. Thanks.
by Bikers are crazy rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/14 23:35
"For the latter, while his/her title sounds feeble (because of the weakness of the person such title normally represents), his/her awesome qualities in an extremely unconventional way are already well known."

Oh I see 2008/10/15 04:23
Oh I see. Now I get it. Domo...

... 2008/10/15 07:19
May I ask who this sentence is referring to ? Now I'm curious :)

well... 2008/10/21 20:58
Well... it's one of the characters in the fiction I am reading. Don't think you'd be interested in that, since it's not any celebrity. ;)

By the way, mind helping with another sentence? This fiction is driving me nuts!

独占欲の裏返しの寛容さを偉そうに胸に抱いていた

... 2008/10/21 21:21
Oh I see. ...Gosh, is the whole tone of the WHOLE book like this?? :)

[独占欲の裏返しの寛容さ]を 偉そうに 胸に 抱いていた
- He was proudly harboring in his heart generosity, which was (only) the flipside of his excesssive possessivensss.
or
...which was born (only) out of his excessive possessiveness.
...which was (only) another expression of his excessive possessivensss.

Well, it means that his generosity was not genuine, but only something/some attitude that came out of his greedy motive to possess (everyone/everything).

Thanks... 2008/10/21 21:34
Thanks a fat lot AK. Next time you see me, look out for someone called 'this book is crazy' or 'this fiction is crazy' or 'I am crazy'. Fat chance that it'd be me. T.T

Well, 2008/10/21 21:52
...I hope you enjoy reading the crazy book! :)

reply to this thread