Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Schools? 2008/10/14 21:13
Hi :)

I'm planning on moving to Japan when I graduate from high school and I want to go into astronomy as a career. does anyone know any good schools that have a astronomy major? if the classes are in English that would really help

Thanks
by Claudia S  

. 2008/10/14 22:55
I don't think any University in Japan offers astronomy (in English) only in Japanese. So if you wish to study in Japan in that subject field, it would be imperative you learn Japanese.
by John rate this post as useful

reply 2008/10/15 03:00
I didn't mean all the classes. but there are some schools that have some classes in English. I am lerning Japanese but I was just curious if there were any schools out there that taught classes in English. but thanks for your help. If u have any other info it would help
by Claudia S rate this post as useful

English 2008/10/15 08:10
Classes held in English tend to be in the business field- MBA courses etc. I would say most universities in Japan wouldn't have astronomy courses at all, let alone in English.
by Sira rate this post as useful

thank you all for your answers. they were very helpful

study official websites 2008/10/15 08:17
Of course there are plenty of universities in Japan that have astronomy majors, however I doubt any offer astronomy classes in English.
http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E5%A4%A9%E6%96%87%E5%AD%A6...

Once you get hold of the Japanese language enough to be qualified to study astronomy in Japan, I'm sure you can search universities yourself. They're all right there.
by Uco rate this post as useful

:)) 2008/10/15 08:52
Thank you so much :] u actually answered my question. and gave me a link.

Hawaii 2008/10/16 07:03
You should go to the Univ. of Hawaii. It has a strong astronomy and Japanese language programs. Plus there's a Japanese observatory on Mauna Kea so there may be a tie-up. And Hawaii is relatively close to Japan--cheap flights during vacation.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

to claudia s. :D 2008/10/16 13:17
hey!!! i have a question to you..after highschool you're planning to go to Japan for college but how??? I mean don't you need passport, visa..etc to travel??? How are you going to get those??? and if you already did...how??? If you are going to attend college here that is justifiable because I know colleges here offer study abroad programs but by yourself how though??? I am just wondering because I plan to do the same too hehehehehe :D
by Etiole M. rate this post as useful

Etiole M 2008/10/16 19:59
Hi :3

I know it would be be scary to go by myself (which I wanna do) but I just keep think about the adventure and culture shock that I can experince
in japan. Now that passport and visa part. you do need a passport to enter japan and a visa to travel. If you want to be a full time student u get the student visa. the other option is if you want to study and work ( which some colleges don't let their students do) you can get the working holiday visa. which allows u to study and work about 20 hours a week. this visas u can get once u arrive in Japan at your local city hall. but to make your life easier you can get all of your papers and visas anywhere that they issue passports and visas. which there should be some near your city. you can Yahoo it. there are a lot of things you need in japan if you plan to stay more than 90 days, like an alien card. which you have to get at your local city hall in japan. remember you have to get this within your 90 days.If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me at: freakshow3332@aol.com. I check my email everyday so I'll respond quickly.

Hey its me again claudia!!!! :) 2008/10/17 04:45
You can acquire student visa without the help of colleges?? Correct me if i am wrong, but don't you need a college to support you to go to college in Japan??? That is my initial thought though.... For the working holiday visa...umm.. I am very interested because I really want to go to college in Japan. I am in my junior year of highschool and I am thinking of going to college here(in U.S) so they can support me to go to Japan and study but if there are possible options like getting a visa myself then I will do that....any suggestions???? P.S is the visa/passport process long??? how many months or years does it take for me to get a visa or passport?? are there a lot of requirements??? sorry for asking too many questions ;p

Hi Etiole :]] 2008/10/17 06:20
I've been doing research on studying in japan for about 2 years and u don't need help from the school to get a student visa. you can get this by yourself. a student visa is simply a paper saying that your allowed to study in the country. For suggestions it really depends on you. if you wanna spend some time here (US) then go to a school here but if u can't wait and wanna experince japan then I suggest u go to japan. me, personally would go to japan just because I think japan offers better teaching. ok next point: passport and visa time. a passport takes about 6 months to arrive, if you have to renew your old one. visas are a bit different. it depends on how fast u turn in the applications and how fast they process your application but it should only take
a few months. as for requirements the passport is easy. u usually just need two passport pictures and the agency will take care of the rest. for the visa I'm actually not sure but I'm sure that if you search it up on the Internet or ask at the passport agency they will guide u. I don't mind all the questions :) just glad to help. any more questions, post them up and I'll try to help u the best I can

you must be enrolled at a school 2008/10/17 07:58
The working holiday visa isn't available to US citizens I'm afraid, there is an agreement between Australia, Japan, Canada and New Zealand which allows young people to go working holiday visas, but the US did not join this agreement.

As for the student visa, I'm afraid I think Claudia S. is misinformed about not needing help from a school to get a visa- this line is from the Japanese government's visa site, where they have information on which documents are necessary for each visa status:

"A copy of the certificate of admission from the educational institution where the person concerned intends to study."

So it would seem that you must be signed up with a school of some kind- if you think about it, the Japanese government isn't likely to give visas to people who just say they plan to attend school, you have to show that that is what you will actually do.

Check the visa site if you want to see the other requirements:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/05.html
by Sira rate this post as useful

to claudia s and sira :) 2008/10/17 08:13
Yeah I checked that site (MOFA I mean) just now and it seems I need to be enrolled in a school to be able to go to japan...when I read all of the requirements I was taken aback at the necessesary documents required to obtain a visa. So, I guess I have to go to college here for awhile before i can study in Japan. But I do want to visit Japan for leisure after i graduate...so do I have to get a visa for that??? :)

Arigatou!!! 2008/10/17 08:16
Thnx by the way, you two, for all the information you shared :D m(_ _)m

Your Welcome! 2008/10/17 09:06
Glad I could help :). and yes u need a visa to travel

reply to this thread