Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Warabi mochi recipe 2008/10/15 20:11

I recently saw some warabimochi powder for sale and somehow I ended up buying a pack home. Although its quite bland it has a nice texture.

I followed the intructions on back of package, which says mix the warabi granules (100g) with water (500g) gradually and also add a bit of sugar.

Then bring it to a boil and then turn the heat down and cook for around 15 mins or when it becomes transparent.

To my horror, all I managed were big lumps of semi-transparent blobs and no amount of additional water or boiling would fix this problem.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make perfect Warabi mochi? Is there a secret?

Also are they meant to be completely transparent or a bit cloudy - my memory tells me I thought they were nearly transparent kind of like tapioca cooked well, but in fact I can't remember if it could have been slightly opaque before puttin on the kinako powder?

Cheers : )
by Blancd  

... 2008/10/15 22:10
Blancd, semi-transparency is quite a natural color for Warabimochi. Usually the recipe says that it will "become transparent" but it actually means "less whitish" from original (complete white) color. You can see the movie here. Click "動画再生."
http://heart-bridge.jp/recipe/detail/1108
by JLady rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/19 02:25
Thanks for the link JLady.

I think I stuffed up big time somehow, but not sure why as yet.

Might give it another try soon. Unfortunately its easy to buy this in Japan department stores pre-made. Never occurred to me that its so difficult to get right.

Anyone else made it before? *_*
by Blanc rate this post as useful

how to make warabimochi 2010/5/15 15:09
Hi,I'm Japanese girl and I know how to make warabimochi.
I think 100g and 500ml of water would be too much,the recipe you wrote it down.but for some friends like 5,6people would be perfect.
I don't useually megering(very blood O type person,not actually...)but better to using scale...;-) In a pan put your 150g warabimochi-flour,450-500ml of water mix well until pile will be gone. then a pan and switch on a strong fire,continous stiring for a couple mins. before the texture changed you will feel dificult to stiring but please don't stop stiring it..Eventually it will change the colour to see through like. then use spoon to ladle and drop into a very cold water.

Eat with kinako,macya kinako or Uguisu kinako...

here is the recipe with lovely photos!

Enjoy the cooking!!
by hediandaiko (guest) rate this post as useful

oh,I forgot!! 2010/5/15 15:10
to put the website address..

http://cookpad.com/recipe/1103163
by heidiandaiko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread