Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Evening in Okayama 2008/10/19 23:32
Laeving for Japan next week and just trying to sort out some small details - We are staying in Okayama for one night before we take the ferry to Nao-shima. We are expecting to arrive about 5 o clock - so are aware temples etc will be close but could anyone give us advice of what we can do or go see at night? Either where to eat, a great evening walk or a theatre, music or something.

Thanks Anna

by anna  

. 2008/10/23 08:13
The Shinsaibashi/Dotonbori area is a very good area to visit at night. Many shops will be open until 9-10 pm and there are plenty of places to eat.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Correction 2008/10/26 20:33
Hi Anna,

I think RobBeer is confusing Osaka and Okayama. Shinsaibashi & Dotombori are fabulous areas to go to, but are in Osaka.

We spent 2 nights in Okayama recently and couldn't find anything special to do. However, I'm sure someone must have an idea what you can do.

Please be aware its best to get an early start to go to Naoshima as there is a lot to see on the island, and it takes time to get from one place to the next. I don't know if you've found out much about Naoshima, but you should know that the buses do not run very regularly, so there is either a lot of waiting or some long walks. You can hire motor scooters, which you might find more convenient.

Also note: the ferry terminal on the mainland is not obvious from Uno station. It is not the big building you see straight ahead as you exit the station, but is to the right. It was a big rush to catch the ferry as there was not much time between train arrival and ferry departure - so check your timetables carefully. The ferry does not run very frequently - if you miss the one at 9.22 there is not another one until 11.00.

See official naoshima website for suggested itineraries - the timing was pretty accurate if you really want to see things properly.

Also think its important to pick up Naoshima Area map at Ferry terminal - it has bus timetable, ferry timetable and good map.

Sorry I couldn't help with Okayama, but hope you have a great time on Naoshima Is.
by traceyk rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/10/26 22:05
Thanks for your help - Okayama is just a stop over so we should probably just have a night off, grab some food and get some sleep. Thanks for the info about getting to the ferry terminal. We want to get on to Nao shima as early as possible. It looks like an amazing place and I am a big fan of Ando.

thanks again
by Anna rate this post as useful

Evening in Okayama 2008/10/27 07:30
I stayed in Okayama for a few days on my last trip (Feb 06) and it is a very attractive city with many attractions in its main street (Momotaro Dori), i'm sure you would have little trouble finding something to do to fill in a couple of hours.
just a minor point it often got very cold there at night with the temp falling to -5C
by Philip rate this post as useful

reply to this thread