Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone in 4 days, Hakone Free Pass? 2008/10/20 13:45
hi,

i'll be going to Hakone next month and I intend to stay there for 3 nights.

I understand that the Hakone Free Pass max validity is 3 days and it includes a return trip from Shinjuku to Hakone Yumoto and back to Shinjuku (correct me if I'm wrong).

Let's say I depart Shinjuku to Hakone on Nov 1 and would like to return to Tokyo on Nov 4. If I purchase the Hakone Free Pass on Nov 1, and the pass validity is 3 days, does that maen that I can't use the Pass anymore on Nov 4? Which means I have to buy a separate ticket to return to Tokyo?

Is it still worth buying the Hakone Free Pass in this case?

I do want to explore the Hakone area itself (classic round course).

Grateful for your advice.
by grace  

... 2008/10/20 16:34
I understand that the Hakone Free Pass max validity is 3 days and it includes a return trip from Shinjuku to Hakone Yumoto and back to Shinjuku (correct me if I'm wrong).

You can also buy a pass, which does not include the round trip between Tokyo and Hakone. It is listed as "from Odawara" on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

Let's say I depart Shinjuku to Hakone on Nov 1 and would like to return to Tokyo on Nov 4. If I purchase the Hakone Free Pass on Nov 1, and the pass validity is 3 days, does that maen that I can't use the Pass anymore on Nov 4?

Yes, that's right!

Which means I have to buy a separate ticket to return to Tokyo?

Correct.

Is it still worth buying the Hakone Free Pass in this case?

No, not the version which includes the round trip. But the version that does not include the round trip might be worth buying.

I do want to explore the Hakone area itself (classic round course).

The classic round course can be done in one day. No need to stay three nights!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/10/20 17:55
Thanks Uji.

Yea, I know, 3 days sound a bit excessive huh? but what can I do, the husband wants to 'get some rest', so I suppose 3 nights will allow us to do that. he'll give me an earful if I get him to do the whole circuit in one day.
by grace rate this post as useful

free pass from Hakone Yumoto? 2008/10/20 17:58
You mentioned this Hakone Free Pass from Odawara.

Can we get something similar from Hakone Yumoto station? In case I decide to take the Romancecar from Shinjuku, it'll terminate at Hakone Yumoto, so I'll have to get that Free Pass from Hakone Yumoto. Is that right?

... 2008/10/20 18:35
Can we get something similar from Hakone Yumoto station?

Yes, you can get the same pass also at Yumoto Station.

In case I decide to take the Romancecar from Shinjuku, it'll terminate at Hakone Yumoto, so I'll have to get that Free Pass from Hakone Yumoto. Is that right?

Ask at the Odakyu sightseeing desk. They might be able to sell you the Hakone Free Pass for use from Odawara at Shinjuku Station. That would save you a few hundred yen (the fare for the short section between Odawara and Yumoto, which is already inside the "free area"). If not possible, yes, just take the Romance car and buy the Hakone Free Pass at Yumoto Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

pass still worth buying? 2008/10/21 00:10
Thanks again Uji.

The Hakone Free Pass from Odawara is 3900yen for 2 days. Let's say I only intend to do the circuit once. All in one day.

Is it still worth buying the Pass then?

reply to this thread