Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary check and questions 2008/10/21 00:29
Hi,

I will be going to Tokyo and Kyoto for 10N from 9th - 19th Dec. This is my tentative itinerary, how does it look? I will be activating my JR pass from day 2 to day 8. Would love to hear any comments. Many thanks in advance.

Day 1: Narita - ueno. shopping harajuku and shibuya.

Day 2: Tokyo - Kyoto(reach Kyoto at 1014/1048. Heian shrine, path of philosophy, Ginkakuji, Kiyomizudera(if have time), then gion.

Day 3: Kyoto - Kiyomizudera(6am - if previous day didnt go) - Kinkakuji - Nara(reach at noon).

Day 4: Kyoto - Himeji castle - Arashiyama(Hanatouro starting day - lights in evening).

Day 5: Kyoto - Nikko(arrive 1221). temple area. stay Nikko.

Day 6: Nikko - Chuzenji lake, keegon falls, Kegon falls, Yumoto Onsen ski resort(if have snow, if not may not go Yumoto). rest and relax at Nikko. Stay.

Day 7: Nikko - Gala Yuzawa ski resort(arrive 1040). stay.

Day 8: Gala Yuzawa - Ueno. Whole day at Gala Yuzawa, night time head to Ueno.

Day 9: Tokyo (Tokyo itinerary is easier to plan, will do ueno, tsukiji fish market, asakusa, harajuku, shibuya, odaiba in my 3 days in Tokyo).

Day 10: Tokyo.

Day 11: flight home.

Q: Should I do Mijayima or Nikko? I would love to see both, but not possible. Am I missing alot by omitting Miyajima?

Also, is Nikko worth the travel and time to visit, after seeing Kyoto? I have reserved a very nice cottage in Nikko(that explains the 2 night stay) and love beautiful scenery, and would hate to skip this place, but am I better off spending more time in Kyoto and Gala Yuzawa ski resort?

Cheers.

Daphne.

by Daphne  

another itinerary for reference. 2008/10/21 13:29
with regards to the above itinerary(it has been modified), this is my first itinerary. Which one looks better?
Day 1: Narita - ueno
Day 2: Ueno - kyoto: heian shrine, ginkakuji, path of philosophy, kiyomizudera, gion.
Day 3: kyoto - himeji castle - miyajima(stay till night time, take 8+pm train back to kyoto)/overnight miyajima.
Day 4: kyoto - kinkakuji, arashiyama(hanatouro).
Day 5: Fushimi inari + Nara.
Day 6: Kyoto - yudanaka(reach 1300). Snow monkey park. Night time at Yudanaka/Shibu Onsen area.
Day 7: Shiga Kogen. stay.
Day 8: Day spend at Shiga Kogen. evening head to yudanaka, take train to ueno.
Day 9: Tokyo(same as above itinerary).
Day 10: Tokyo.
Day 11: flight back

Please advise which itinerary looks better. The one above has Nikko and Gala Yuzawa ski resort(very easy to go to Ueno on day 8). The one below has one more day in Kyoto, get to do Miyajima(half day), and visit Snow Monkey park, but no Nikko. And Shiga Kogen is not as accessible as Gala Yuzawa.
by Daphne rate this post as useful

here and there 2008/10/21 14:55
There is no such a thing as better as this is such a matter of personal taste. Like who is the most beautiful? a blonde or a brunette? what taste best? steak or salmon? what if you like both but must choose? your problem, common to most 1st timers, is that you cram too many things each day. I love Miyajima but going there and NOT seeing Hiroshima peace park?? Nikko? these shrines are absolutely amazing! the workmanship that went into them is beyond belief! I definitely much prefer going to Nikko than loking at snow monkeys that--like all monkeys--can be vicious creatures with a very nasty bite. Only a few people have been bitten but I sure don't want to be the one!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/10/21 15:11
thank you Sensei 2 for your comments.
Yes, the reason why I posted here is to see if my itinerary is do-able, or am I cramming too much in any particular day, which is why i am asking for comments. As first time visitors, we would of course love to see as much as we can, and it does not help that there are so many beautiful things/places in Japan.

As for Hiroshima Peace Park, I made a choice between Himeji Castle and that, and chose Himeji castle after some research and thinking which attraction my son would enjoy more. And Miyajima was in my itinerary before modification cos I love beautiful scenery.

I agree with your comments on the Snow Monkey Park, which is also why i changed the itinerary.

Thanks.

which day 2008/10/21 15:20
I look silly replying my own post. Anyway, Sensei 2, you mentioned that I am cramming too much in each day. May I know which day, or everyday? Some days I thought were quite relaxed, no? I really hope to hear which day's itinerary sounds too ambituous, so I have a rough idea and can priortise what I wanna see.

reply to this thread