Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel routes advice needed 2008/10/21 10:30
Dear experts,

We have be traveling to Japan next month and have booked accomodation in 3 places (arrive at Narita Airport),
(1) Shinsaibashi, Osaka;
(2) Kawaguchiko (Mt. Fuji); and
(3) Gotenba (Mt. Fuji).

We've also bought JR Pass for this trip.

Based on hyperdia's and comments in this forum, following routes are what we've found.

(1) From Narita Airport to Shinsaibashi, Osaka (apprx 4 hrs 44mim)
Narita Airport (Narita Express)- Tokyo (Shinkansen Hikari)- ShinOsaka (OsakaCity Midousuji Line)- Shinsaibashi.

(2) From Shinsaibashi to Kawaguchiko (apprx 6hrs 19min)
Shinsaibashi (OsakaCity Midousuji Line)- ShinOsaka (Shinkansen Hikari)- Shin Yokohama (JR Yokohama Line)- Hachioji (JR Chuo Line)- Takao (JR Chuo Line)- Otsuki (Fuji Express)- Kawaguchiko

(3) From Kawaguchiko to Gotenba
I read from Uji-san that there is a bus commuting these 2 stops.

My queries:-
a. (from Narita Airport to Shinsaibashi)
1. Can I alight at either Tokyo Station or Shinagawa Station if I'm traveling on Narita Express?

2. I'm looking at both hyperdia and JR website's timetable. Will the time for trains differ?

b. (from Shinsaibashi to Kawaguchiko)
1. Apart from the suggested routes from hyperdia, is there any other suggestions? The time taken is too long (6hrs).

2. I'm looking at Fujikyu Highland Station (seems nearer to hotel I'm staying). How far is it from Kawaguchiko Station?

3. Any online maps that I can refer to for Mt Fuji's various stations?

4. Any online timing for the bus commuting between Kawaguchiko and Gotenba station?

All advise are welcomed. Thank you!

by Pam  

### ! 2008/10/21 13:46
Q1/ You would be better off going through to Shinagawa. It's much easier to change there.
Q2 ( the first one ) Why should the times differ. Hyperdia would get their information from the company. In this case JR
Q2b1/ 6 hours is about the best you are going to get. Lets face it a lot of it is on local trains.
Q2 ( the second one ) 1.6 km's
Q3/http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kawaguch...
Q4/ Not my area of expertise but just looking at the map I would have to think it would save you at least an hour if there is a regular bus service. That is go to Kawaguchiko via Gotemba on the way in....get off the shinkansen at Mishima instead of going right back to Shinyokohama.
by RodW rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/22 19:20
Thank you, RodW.

The link for Mt. Fuji has been very useful!
by pam rate this post as useful

reply to this thread