Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advisable to drive in Kyushu? 2008/10/24 23:10
My family of 6 will be visiting Kyushu in December for 10 days. We'll be going to Fukuoka, Nagasaki and Beppu. Should we rent a car or take the trains? Prefer to drive but not sure if we can manage if we do not understand Japanese. Is there GPS in English? Please advise. Thanks!
by gal  

... 2008/10/25 17:36
If you just visit the three cities, there is no need to get a car. They are conveniently connected with each other by trains and buses, and each city also has an efficient urban transportation network.

Only if you also intend to explore the rural areas between these cities, would I recommend to use a car.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji 2008/10/26 22:07
Thanks so much Uji. We would like to explore some of the rural areas but cannot understand Japanese, do you have any advice for us? Is it advisable to drive with no knowledge of Japanese? One more question...how long does it take to travel from Fukuoka airport to Nagasaki by train as well as by car?
by gal rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/27 05:32
We would like to explore some of the rural areas but cannot understand Japanese, do you have any advice for us?

Most important signs along major streets and highways are bilingual.

Also, although in Japanese, the navigation system (GPS), which comes with most rental cars, can be very helpful, for example, the option with which you can input your destination by phone number.

Is it advisable to drive with no knowledge of Japanese?

Yes, I think it is okay. But make sure to study the basic traffic rules and drive with extra caution and concentration.

One more question...how long does it take to travel from Fukuoka airport to Nagasaki by train as well as by car?

About two hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread