Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wat's the lowest temperature? 2008/10/26 21:22
Hi,

I will be visiting Osaka, Kyoto and Takayama in late December (from 28th Dec - 3rd jan).

Could you please let me know what is the lowest temperature could it be at that time for each of the above place?

Is there any possibility to see showfalls during that period?

Thanks mate!
by Val  

... 2008/10/27 05:38
Takayama will likely be the coldest place you are visiting with a very high chance of snow.

The average temperatures for Takayama around New Year:
Average daytime high: 4 degress
Average nighttime low: -4 degrees

The actual temperature is usually within +/- 5 degrees. So, it would not be unusual if you were to encounter below freezing temperatures in Takayama even during the day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto in Dec 2008/10/27 20:27
What about Kyoto? Will I be able to see snow in Kyoto during my visit?
by Val rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/27 20:41
There is a small chance that you will see snow in Kyoto. As for average temperatures:
Average daytime high: 10 degress
Average nighttime low: 2 degrees

Kyoto in Dec 2008/10/27 20:44
Really? That's sad!! But why do I see nice photos of Ginkakuji covered in snow from the websites? Does that mean I have to visit Kyoto in Jan in order to see snow??

... 2008/10/27 20:45
There is a small chance. It is not that unusual for Kyoto to see some snow in January.

Kyoto in Dec 2008/10/27 20:50
Uji san,

Arigatou gouzaimasu!

Snow in Kyoto 2008/10/27 22:37
Val, when it snows in somewhat warmer areas like Kyoto, the snow often only stays around for 2 or 3 days before melting- it only hangs around for weeks in really cold places like Hokkaido.

Usually Kyoto might see 4 or 5 snowfalls in a winter, but the snow doesn't stay around for long- sometimes it doesn't settle at all and melts straight away. The photos you have seen will have been taken right after a snowfall, before the snow melted.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Snow in Kyoto 2008/10/28 10:59
Hi Sira,

Thanks for the info! If that's the case, I see no point visiting Kyoto in Dec then! Sad to find out that... anyway, really thanks for ur kind info.

Val

??? 2008/10/28 16:49
Um, Val, there is more to Kyoto than snow...

Kyoto 2008/10/28 17:01
Quite a lot more! Kyoto is one of the most important towns in the whole world for its architecture!
by Red frog rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/10/28 18:04
Dear all,

Yeap, I know Kyoto is the best place to go... I have been there last Oct. I want to see snow fall this time actually. Too bad that I have to postponed my trip.

Snow 2008/10/28 18:24
You shouldn't base you whole trip around wanting to see snow fall- even in Takayama it is quite possible that you won't. The weather can be fine and clear for days on end in winter. You never know what the weather will do.

reply to this thread