Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR West Kansai (Osaka/Kyoto/KIX) 2008/10/27 03:51
Hi,

Need someone to help me (I am confusion with so many train stations, and their stops)

I am visiting Osaka and Kyoto from 12-Nov to 15-Nov. Will be using the JR WEST KANSAI Pass to travel between these cities. Please advise if this is correct:

From Osaka to Kyoto:
Depart at Osaka Station (not Shin-Osaka Station) arrive at Kyoto Station (via JR Tokaido Line -JR Special Rapid)

From Kyoto to Osaka:
Depart at Kyoto Station, arrive at Shin-Osaka Station (Haruka Express) - this is because I am staying in Osaka for 1 day.

From Osaka to KIX:
Depart at Shin-Osaka Station, arrive at Kaisai Int'l Airport (take the Haruka Express).

Please let me know if this is correct.

Many thank,
Jeannie
by Jeannie, Singapore  

... 2008/10/27 05:56
Depends on where in Osaka your hotel is located!

Depart at Osaka Station (not Shin-Osaka Station) arrive at Kyoto Station (via JR Tokaido Line -JR Special Rapid)

Yes, the JR Special Rapid is the best train to take. It stops at both Osaka and Shin-Osaka Stations.

From Kyoto to Osaka:
Depart at Kyoto Station, arrive at Shin-Osaka Station (Haruka Express) - this is because I am staying in Osaka for 1 day.

Again, you might as well use the Tokaido Line. It departs more often than the Haruka and is almost equally fast, stopping at Osaka and Shin-Osaka Stations. The Haruka train stops at Shin-Osaka and Tennoji Station.

Depart at Shin-Osaka Station, arrive at Kaisai Int'l Airport (take the Haruka Express).

That is if your hotel is located around Shin-Osaka Station. Otherwise, taking the Airport Rapid might be more convenient.

Osaka transportation:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR Wes Kansai (Osaka/Kyoto/KIX) 2008/10/27 09:14
Hi Uji,

Below are the hotels I will be staying while in Osaka:

* Osaka (12-Nov) Plaza Osaka Hotel - which is the nearest train stations to Kyoto Station? Osaka Staton or Shin-Osaka Station?

* Osaka (15-Nov) Hotel Laforet Shin-Osaka - which is the most convenient train station to depart for KIX? I presume is Shin-Osaka Station (taking the Haruka Express)

Please note that I will be using the JR West Kansai Pass for the above trips.

Thanks and regards,
Jeannie

by Jeannie rate this post as useful

hotels 2008/10/27 13:37
Did you check the Hotel Plaza Osaka internet site on Google before booking it? It isn't near a JR line. Please check:
http://www.plzosk.jp/map_te.html
the closest train station from the Hotel Plaza Osaka is Jyuso, on the Hankyu line (a private railway) from Osaka Umeda to Takarazuka. The Laforet hotel is near the Shin-Osaka station:check http://www.asiarooms.com/hotelImages/Japan/Osaka/Laforet_Shi...
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Plaza Osaka Hotel to Osaka Station 2008/10/27 20:16
Hi,

Can someone tell me how to get from Hotel Plaza Osaka to Osaka Station? I am getting a JR train to Kyoto. The closest train station from the hotel is Jyuso, on the Hankyu line (a private railway) from Osaka Umeda to Takarazuka. It seems I cannot use the JR pass for this private railway. Are there nearby subway that I can take to reach Osaka Station from the hotel?

Thanks a million!

a single Card for both 2008/10/27 20:26
For the JR pass holder, Subway and Private Railway are the same. You need to buy a ticket or prepaid card valid for both.

SO, the answer to your question.
Any Hankyu train will bring you from Jyuso station to Hankyu Umeda station, which is next to JR Osaka.

by V rate this post as useful

.. 2008/10/27 21:23
1. From Osaka to Kyoto:

You can also catch a direct Hankyu train from Jyuso station to Kawaramachi station(in central Kyoto, close to tourist attractions such as Gion or Yasaka shrine) on Hankyu Kyoto line. Wether JR or Hankyu depends on which area in Kyoto you are heading for.

Generary speaking, JR West Pass doesnt pay off for 1day return trip between Osaka and Kyoto. I suggest you to check ICOCA smart card and Surutto Kansai Prepaid card.

2. From Kyoto to Osaka:

As Uji advised, Airport Express Haruka and JR Special Rapid are almost the same in traveling Kyoto and Shin-Osaka.

3. From Osaka to KIX:

1day JR West pass pays off on this journey.
by V rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/10/27 23:39
Hey, many thanks to all in providing me the info. At least, now I am not confused now. I look forward to my trip to Osaka/Kyoto...and Nara.

Cheers,
Jeannie, Singapore

reply to this thread