Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nearest place from Tokyo for snow 2008/10/28 18:10
Hi. I will be traveling to Tokyo in late december this year. Where is the nearest place from Tokyo to see snow during this time of the year? Appreciate your replies, thanks!
by Alex  

Fuji 2008/10/28 22:13
Mt. Fuji for sure; Karuizawa if winter is early this year.
by .... rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/29 06:44
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/10/29 15:39
Hmm, if I go to the Fuji 5 lakes area in late Dec, say 21st Dec, is there a good chance I can see snow?

by Alex rate this post as useful

snow 2008/10/29 19:53
You will certainly see it on the summit of Mt. Fuji, but are you actually wanting to walk around on snow?
by Sira rate this post as useful

Karuizawa 2008/10/29 21:58
Karuizawa will have snow on Dec. 21 but it might be artificial. OTOH, Niseko in Hokkaido already reports 15+ cm of snow on the ground.
by ... rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/11/2 01:31
Hi all,

Thanks alot foryour suggestions. I've made up my mind to visit the snow resort at Karuizawa. Cheapest transportation would be the highway bus. Where can I buy the tickets at Ikebukuro station? My fiance is not keen in skiing, but I guess we could still walk around in the snow =D.

?? 2008/11/2 08:56
Realistically, Kariuzawa has less chance of having REAL snow on 21st December than Gala Yuzawa. Its location generally gets less snow than Yuzawa. (about half the amount as Gala Yuzawa in December)

Early in the season, Gala Yuzawa has special package deal day trips, which tend to cost around 7000-8000yen, round trip Shinkansen and lift ticket.
You can use the lift ticket to catch the gondola up to the restaurant area. I had a friend do this last season while I skied. He didn't ski, just enjoyed the snow and the views!!!!
And at that price it's likely to be cheaper than a bus trip, and much quicker as well(about 90min)

by Sandy rate this post as useful

Hmm 2008/11/2 09:34
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for sharing your views. It would be a bummer to travel all the way and not see much of real snow. The shinkansen package to Gala Yuzawa sounds great, where can I purchase it?

... 2008/11/2 10:01
The shinkansen package to Gala Yuzawa sounds great, where can I purchase it?

At the ticket counter of JR stations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread