Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best base=Osaka/Kyoto/Nara? 2008/11/1 00:22
Hi. If I am going to spend 3 - 5 days in the Osaka / Kyoto region, are they all within easy reach to stay in a hotel in just one of these cities, or is it better to hop from place to place?

Thanks!
by Bob  

... 2008/11/1 11:56
It is personal preference (depending on factors such as luggage, interest in night life, willingness to commute for an hour, etc.). All cities can be reached within a one hour train ride from each other.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Osaka/Kyoto/Nara? 2008/11/1 13:48
Hello Bob:

If for only 3 days, you may be better off staying in one place such as Kyoto and doing a day trip to Osaka and a half day trip to Nara. Frankly, 3 days is too short. If you can squeeze in 5 NIGHTS, then, I would stay 2 nights in Osaka-Umeda (not Shin-Osaka) and 3 nights in Kyoto. Depending on what you plan to do and see in Kyoto and Osaka, you can then plan on a half day excursion to Nara from Kyoto or Osaka. Staying in 2 Cities gives you a better feel of the 2 cities. If for only 3 days, I would stay in Kyoto near Kyoto Station. While in this area, it will be a real plus if you can spend 1 night in Hiroshima and 1 night on Miyajima Island plus a stopover at Himeji Castle. Hope you find this of some help. Regardless of what you decide, you will definitly enjoy your visit.
by Harold rate this post as useful

best base 2008/11/1 13:53
I go to the Kansai regularly and stay in Kobe everytime..but that's just me and my friend...we both love Kobe a lot. Not so much as a touristy place but as a place where we could live for a long while.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/1 17:04
Thanks very much, this is really helpful.

I will definitely try to squeeze in an extra night or 2 to stay in different places as you suggest.

Thanks!!
by Bob rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/11/1 20:24
My personal preference would be to stay in Kyoto, and I fully agree, near the station, for the majority with 1 night in Osaka...the advantage of Kyoto is that it is DIRECTLY on the Shinkansen line: in Osaka, you need to transfer from JR Osaka station to ShinOsaka : Osaka is GREAT fro night life and food and drink, but Kyoto is where, in my personal view, the real Japan interest can be found.. it is possible, but a VERY long day, to get to Hiroshima/Miyajima for the day fro Kyoto: you will only skim the surface of Kyoto, for 2 days, plus 1 day in Nara, but it will be worth it...and yes, I agree, 5 nights: 4 in Kyoto, 1 in Osaka would be great
by fmj rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/11/1 20:27
Both times I have been in this region I have stayed in Kyoto and travelled from there to Osaka, Nara, Himeji and even down to Miyajima.
I stay at a place right by Kyoto station so it is easier to get around from there.
Hope that helps :-) and enjoy
by kittywheaty rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/1 20:54
Thanks Kitty and fmj, this is a huge help. This definitely sounds good to me as we are travelling with our child, so prefer to stay near kyoto for 4 days with 1 night in Osaka, so we are not hotel-hopping.

Kitty - what hotel did you stay in, can you recommend??

Thanks!!!

... 2008/11/1 21:14
Hi Bob, We stayed at New Miyako Hotel: not a cheap option, but we loved it:big rooms, so if you have a child it is good for space, right opposite the Shinkansen end of the station, and it offers a fabulous buffet breakfast(we didn't need lunch after that just a snack mid afternoon): will be interested to see where Kitty stayed: near the station is definitely good, as the busses all go from there as well, although the opposite end to New Miyako
by fmj rate this post as useful

From the viewpoint of transportation 2008/11/1 21:26
When u think much of Osaka - Kyoto connection, find a place near;

-JR Osaka
-JR ShinOsaka
-JR Kyobashi stations in Osaka

or

-JR Kyoto
-Keihan Shijo
-Hankyu Kawaramachi stations in Kyoto.
by Ts rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/1 21:41
Many thanks fmj, I owe you!

I am aware that Jp can be expensive so have saved for a while for this trip - will check the hotel out, thanks!!

... 2008/11/1 21:57
I stayed at Station Ryokan Seiki, I found on this site :-)
http://ryokan-kyoto.jp/
I have stayed here twice and next time I'm in Kyoto I will stay again. The rooms are very small, once you roll out the futons all the space is gone, this was okay for us as we were only there to sleep, but they do have rooms for 3 and 4 people as well and the 4 person room is much more spacious. All rooms are ensuite and very clean although the wallpaper is peeling a bit.
The owners are very friendly and helpful.
They have just opened a sister hotel around the cornor called Sparkling Dolphins which I may try instead next time.
Overall I would recommend this, the price was very good and for being 5 minutes from the station was a great help in all my sightseeing.
I hope that helps you :-)
by kittywheaty rate this post as useful

Osaka,Kyoto, Nara..Tokyo? 2008/11/2 01:12
Just need a little help, we'll be going to JP on january (Kyoto, Osaka and nara) for 5 days and was wondering what's the best way to save money and time to fit in Tokyo in the schedule? I definitely dont want to miss Tokyo Disneyland, Ghibli Museum and Akihabara...What's the cheapest and fastest way to get there?
by Isabela rate this post as useful

Osaka / Tokyo 2008/11/2 01:30
Isabela,
The cheapest between Osaka and Tokyo: By ( night- ) bus.
The fastest : By plane
In my opinion the best way: By shinkansen train, A 7 day JR Rail Pass for temporary visitors is Yen 28300.
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread