Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Yokohama 2008/11/2 09:49
I will be travelling to Japan for world cup qualifier in February where i believe the game will be in yokohama. Will it be a good idea to stay in Tokyo? How long for train ride to Yokohama and which station to leave on. Best place in Tokyo to stay for 4-5 night stay.
by Anthony  

... 2008/11/2 10:07
Will it be a good idea to stay in Tokyo?

Central Tokyo and central Yokohama are only 30 train minutes apart from each other.

How long for train ride to Yokohama and which station to leave on.

It depends on where in Tokyo you will be staying and where in Yokohama you are heading to. The soccer stadium is located near Shin-Yokohama Station.

Best place in Tokyo to stay for 4-5 night stay.

If you have a medium to high budget, I recommend to stay around Tokyo or Shinagawa Station and ride the shinkansen to Shin-Yokohama. The ticket (for a unreserved seat) costs about 1300 yen (more than twice as expensive as a regular train ticket), but provides the fastest (10-15 minutes) and most convenient (skip commuter rush) access method.

You don't give any budget range, so it is difficult to give any specific hotel recommendations.

The Hotel Metropolitan Marunouchi (upper class business hotel) and the Four Seasons Marunouchi (5-star hotel) are very conveniently located around Tokyo Station:
http://www.hm-marunouchi.jp/
http://www.fourseasons.com/marunouchi/

There are also lots of hotels around Shinagawa Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Question for Uji 2008/11/2 11:55
Can you tell me how I could travel on the Bullet Train from Tokyo to Kyoto to Osaka to Kobe and back to Tokyo? Can I do that ticket to ticket or would it be cheaper to just get the 2 week JR Rail Pass thing? Thanks.
by USAngel rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/2 12:34
Anthony, it depends on how much weight you put on your soccer night.

Usually, fans from Tokyo need to rush home right after a soccer game or rock concert at the Nissan Stadium, concidering the crowd and last trains.

If you wish to have a relaxed dinner or a beer or two in Shin-Yokohama area, it would be wise to book a hotel in Yokohama.

Yokohama also has touristical spots like the biggest China Town in Japan, the biggest touristical port in Japan, and compared to Tokyo it is closer to the ancient capital Kamakura. You also have the option to book a hotel near Kawasaki Station which is in between Tokyo and Yokohama, therefore making it easier to go home by taxi even after the last train.

However, the nightlife at Shin-Yokohama area isn't that exciting, and typically soccer fan tourists stay at Tokyo where it is easier to go to most major tourist spots.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/3 19:10
How to travel between Tokyo and Kyoto:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

Regular train or bus tickets will come cheaper than a 14-day Japan Rail Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread