Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12D TokyoHakoneKyotoNara. JR advice? 2008/11/3 03:33
hi there: i have been getting alot japan travel related help resources on Japan-Guide.com. Thank you.

It has been really helpful but i still can't decide if the JR pass would well is a cheaper for me. Here's my itineary for the 12 days (Nov 22 - Dec 4). On budget travel.

Day 1 - Arrive in Narita. Take Keisei Skyliner to Ueno Station (2000 yen) or JR Narita Express straight to Tokyo Station. (3000 yen)? I'll be putting up west of Shinjuku.

think I should be getting a suica pass for sightseeing within Tokyo.

Day 2 - Explore Harajuku coz it's a Sunday + Ginza + Roppongi

Day 3 - Explore Fish market (is Monday a good day to go Fish Market) + Shinjuku + if possible Lake Yamanka (can i get there by JR or via local train?)

Day 4 - Explore Asakusa + Ueno

Day 5 - Explore Hakone + Mt Fuji. Take the JR Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo Station or the Odakyu Railways? Have plans to buy the 2-day Hakone Free pass

Day 6 - In Hakone with 2-day Free pass

Day 7 - From Hakone to Tokyo the morning - can i take the JR Tokaido Shinkansen or better with the Odakyu Railways? Or is there a JR service from Hakone to Kyoto Station? can't seem to find.

Adjourn to Kyoto from Tokyo via the JR ''Hikari Hayatoku Kippu'' train. this is part of the JR pass ya?

Day 8 - Getting around in Kyoto with all-day bus pass or on bike.

Day 9 - Still in Kyoto

Day 10 - Adjourn to Nara for day trip. Take Miyakoji rapid trains (kaisoku) between Kyoto Station and JR Nara Station. Can i still use the JR pass? Stay in Kyoto.

Day 11 - Another visit to Nara.

Day 12 - Take JR ''Haruka'' Kansai Airport Limited Express from Kyoto to Kansai Intfl Airport. Is this also under the JR pass?

let me know if the above makes sense. Should I be getting a 7 days pass or 10 day pass or travel via local train.
by smiles  

... 2008/11/3 19:51
You travel cheaper by using regular tickets and possibly some day passes or other discount tickets than by using a Japan Rail Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thank you.. 2008/11/4 15:54
dozo arigato Uji.

just a couple of questions more if you don't mind.

1. Any direct JR frm Hakone to Kyoto?

2. How do I get to Mount Fuji from Hakone?

3. Would you know of any couchsurfer in Hakone?

4. lastly, does my itineary make sense. is it too ambitious?

it's my first time to Japan so I want to see and experience autumn (my fav season) as much as possible.

Any advise for a solo female backpacker?

dozo arigato.
by smiles rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/4 19:32
Any direct JR frm Hakone to Kyoto?

It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html?aFROM=2158_5200

2. How do I get to Mount Fuji from Hakone?

Assuming you mean the Fuji Five Lake area when refering to "Mount Fuji", the access method is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html?aFROM=5200_6900

4. lastly, does my itineary make sense. is it too ambitious?

It sound good to me.

some thoughts 2008/11/5 11:08
I see you have done some research on your trip. Here are a few thoughts:

The cheapest connection between Narita and Tokyo is the Keisei Ltd. Express which is 1000 yen, less than 20 min. more in journey time but nearly half the cost of the Skyliner by the same company. It is just like an ordinary subway train.
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/keisei_us/top.html

If you are flying in from Narita and flying out from KIX, the JR rail pass may not work in your favour. You can calculate the cost of train rides and their schedules by using this site:
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

After you have done the classic Hakone loop course, you can take JR from either Mishima or Odawara to Kyoto without going back to Tokyo.

One day for Nara should be enough. Kyoto can do with an extra day, or you can do a day-trip to Hiroshima and Mijayima from Kyoto.

In Kyoto, don't miss out the Arashiyama district. Normally end of Nov. is ideally for seeing autumn foliage in that area.
by William rate this post as useful

agree 2008/11/5 11:14
One day for Nara should be enough. Kyoto can do with an extra day, or you can do a day-trip to Hiroshima and Mijayima from Kyoto.
I agree, and if you factor that in then the JR Pass may be worth it..and yes, do the maths from Hyperdia..good luck
by fmj rate this post as useful

DISagree 2008/11/5 12:22
I'd rather drop Ueno-Asakusa and spend 2 days in Nara(one day for classic Nara route, the other for Kasugayama Premival Forest hike(autumn leaves are beautifull!), Yakushiji, Heijo Palace Site and/or Horyu-ji)

And 1 day for Himeji castle.

OR

1 day each for Nara/Himeji/Hiroshima&Miyajima
by Ts rate this post as useful

Lake Yamanaka in day 3 2008/11/5 12:47
Lake Yamana is so far from Tokyo. If you went to there , hard to visit other sites.
by n10 rate this post as useful

maybe i shd still get a JR pass?? 2008/11/7 23:38
thank you everyone for your help and recommendation. Based on my revised itineary, i think i can max the use of the 7-day JR pass?

Day 1: Arrive in Tokyo.

Should I not get the Suica & NEX package card for 3500 Yen consist of a one way trip from Narita Airport to Tokyo by Narita Express and a Suica card worth 2000 Yen (500 Yen refundable deposit plus 1500 Yen worth of train fares) instead of taking the Keisei Limited Express to Nippori Station (abt 75 mins, 1000 yen) transfer to the JR Yamanote Line to get to Tokyo Station (10 mins, 150 Yen) ?

I am staying at Kurumi Mansion at the Koto-ku.

Day 2: Explore Asakusa (morning) – Sensoji Temple tour + Kappabashi + Nakamise Street + Jakotsuyu Onsen + Adjourn to Harajuku (afternoon).

Day 3: Explore Shinjuku (morning) + Odaiba (afternoon).

Adjourn to Fussa to stay with friend. Am I able to use SUICA pass to get to Fussa?

Day 4: Explore Ginza (Kabukiza et al) + Shibuya (Center Gai + Daikanyama et al) + Roppongi Hill.

Day 5: Explore Fish Market (morning) + Ueno Park (afternoon).

Depart for Hakone in late evening from Tokyo Station via JR Tokaido Main Line. Refund SUICA card.

If I purchase a 7-day JR pass, can I start to exchange it on Day 5 at the Tokyo station?

Day 6: Purchase 2-day Hakone Free pass at Odawara to explore Hakone. Try Tenzan Onsen and Himeshara No Yu Hot Spring onsen as well as visit Fuji Five Lakes/Lake Yamanka

Day 7: Leave Hakone in the morning to Kyoto from Mishima Station via JR Tokaido Shinkasen line or JR "Hikari Hayatoku Kippu" train on a reserved seat. I suppose I can use the 7-day JR-pass. Yes?

Once arrived in Kyoto – get the SURUTTO KANSAI card to go round. Visit the Kiyomizudera temple and Sanjusangendo Hall.

Day 8: Explore Nishiki Market (morning) + Philosopher’s Trail + Pontocho + Gion District. Use SURUTTO pass

Day 9: Day trip to Arashiyama. Use JR pass? to take JR from Kyoto Station to Saga-Arashiyama Station (JR Sagano Line. Visit Togetsukyo Bridge Bamboo Groves. Use SURUTTO pass. Back to Kyoto.

Day 10: Day trip to Nara (morning). Take Miyakoji rapid trains from Kyoto Station and JR Nara Station. Can I use JR Pass here? Visit Nara Park + Horyuji.

Adjourn to Himeji to visit the Himeji Castle (afternoon) Is there a direct train from Nara to Himeiji? Can I use JR pass here? Back to Kyoto late evening.

Day 11: Visit Fushimi Inari Shrine + Tofukuji + Kyoto Toei Movie Land. Use SURUTTO pass

Day 12: Kyoto to Kansai Airport via JR "Haruka" Kansai Airport Limited Express. If I can't use JR pass, can i use the SURUTTO card?

Discount Tickets - http://o-dekake.net/kinken/tokyo/st@tokyo.html. These are discount tickets on SUICA?
This site is in Japanese. Is there an English site where it can point me to the shops where I can get the discount tickets?

What are some of special passes available?

Sorry to ask so much questions. I think i am on the right track but just want to be sure that I am getting as much savings on transporation as possible.
by smiles rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/8 08:36
Regular tickets still come considerably cheaper than a Japan Rail Pass.

Should I not get the Suica & NEX package card

Depends how you intend to access your mansion. The fastest and cheapest access method would be by Keisei limited express to Aoto, then the Keisei Oshiage Line to Oshiage Station and then the Hanzomon Subway Line to Suitengu-mae Station, from where the mansion is a 10 minute walk. In this case, the NEX will be of no use.

But if you intend to take a taxi from Tokyo Station, then I recommend to get the Suica & NEX package. It costs almost the same, but provides more convenient access to Tokyo Station.

Am I able to use SUICA pass to get to Fussa?

Yes!

If I purchase a 7-day JR pass, can I start to exchange it on Day 5 at the Tokyo station?

Yes, you can exchange it on any day at one of the stations listed on the following page, including Tokyo Station and Narita Airport Station:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html

Purchase 2-day Hakone Free pass at Odawara to explore Hakone. Try Tenzan Onsen and Himeshara No Yu Hot Spring onsen as well as visit Fuji Five Lakes/Lake Yamanka

If you also intend to visit the Fuji Five Lake area, which is far away from Hakone, I recommend to first head from Tokyo directly to the Fuji Five Lakes (via Shinjuku and Otsuki) and then take buses to Hakone. In any case, it will be a packed day.

How to get to Fuji Five Lakes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

How to get from the Fuji Five Lakes to Hakone:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html?aFROM=5200_6900

Leave Hakone in the morning to Kyoto from Mishima Station via JR Tokaido Shinkasen line or JR "Hikari Hayatoku Kippu" train on a reserved seat. I suppose I can use the 7-day JR-pass. Yes?

Yes!

Day trip to Arashiyama. Use JR pass? to take JR from Kyoto Station to Saga-Arashiyama Station (JR Sagano Line.

Yes! Alternatively, you could use your Suica card, too.

Take Miyakoji rapid trains from Kyoto Station and JR Nara Station. Can I use JR Pass here?

Yes, the Japan Rail Pass covers basically all JR trains! It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Is there a direct train from Nara to Himeiji?

No, a transfer of trains is required at Osaka Station or Kyoto Station. It can all be done by JR trains.

But packing Nara and Himeji into a single day, while possible, will be very packed, again.

Day 12: Kyoto to Kansai Airport via JR "Haruka" Kansai Airport Limited Express. If I can't use JR pass, can i use the SURUTTO card?

The Japan Rail Pass can be used. Surutto cannot be used. Surutto covers most transportation in the Osaka/Kyoto region EXCEPT JR trains.

still undecided 2008/11/8 14:21
Thanks again Uji. I believe so too that regular tickets are generally cheaper than JR pass coz that's the local mode of transport but all my friends advise me to get the JR pass for the hassle free experience - so i'm sorta undecided.

Okay. I will skip the Fuji Five Lakes, since I would probably be able to see Mt Fuji during my 2-days in Hakone.

In summary:

It's the Keisei Express to Tokyo. Sucia all around Japan. That would be around 5,000 yen in total, if I am topping up abt 3,000 yen on my Suica.

Separately the Suica card be able to bring me from Odawara to Kyoto if i'm not getting the JR West Pass?

I will also do Nara and Himeji on separate days and bring the trip forward.

Would it be better to get the Surutto Kansai 3 Day Ticket at 5,000 Yen. And I believe i can use the ticket for Kyoto bus and train?

Or should I get the JR West Kansai pass? it's a 6,000 yen for 4 days, and I believe that would serve me from Hakone to Kyoto, Kyoto to Himeji and Nara and around Kyoto?

The only thing is I would need to buy a single ticket from Kyoto to Kansai Airport on my final day?

Either way, I guess i would be spending abt 16,000 yen on all transportation throughout my 12 days, which is less than the 7-day JR pass? Yes?

Hopefully, I am getting better at this now.. and don't have to bother you again.
by blur smiles rate this post as useful

explanation 2008/11/8 14:35
your SUICA is also available for your Kyoto-Himeji, Kyoto-Nara, Kyoto-KIX journey, and you can pay the difference amount at JR Kansai Airport station even when you spend all the money in your SUICA.

JR West Pass is NOT valid for Hakone - Kyoto journey. Just buy the single shinkansen ticket at JR odawara station.

1 day JR West Pass has a good value for Kyoto - Himeji return journy.(Single ticket costs 2210yen, one way!)

JR West Pass recommendation 2008/11/8 14:51
So you should take advantage of JR west Pass under these routes.

Kyoto - Himeji day trip(Single tickt costs 4420yen)
Kyoto - KIX Haruka Airport Express(single tickts + express surcharge 2,980yen)

tks for ur recommendation Ts.. 2008/11/8 15:17
Cool! Thanks Ts.

In that case, i should push back my Himeji trip to my last two days in Kyoto and get a 2-day JR West pass at 4,000 yen :).

Great! I could now get my JR West at my local JTB office.

Your SUICA is also available for your Kyoto-Himeji, Kyoto-Nara, Kyoto-KIX journey, and you can pay the difference amount at JR Kansai Airport station even when you spend all the money in your SUICA.

are you referring to the Surutto Kansai instead of the SUICA? I would still need to get a Surutto prepaid card for the Kyoto buses and JR within Kyoto ya?

deeply grateful and more assured now
by not so blur smiles rate this post as useful

I did my sums :) 2008/11/8 22:38
Day Type From To $
1 Keisei Narita Nippori 1000
2-5 Sucia 4500
6 OdakyuShinjukuHakone 1150
Hakone Pass 3900
7 JR Shinkansen 10790
7-9 2D Surutto Kansai 3000
10-13 4D JR West Pass 6000

neat? :)