Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Surutto Kansai Pre-paid Card...? 2008/11/4 16:46
Does anyone know where a good map or list is of the trains/buses etc that can be used using the Surutto Kansai Pre-paid Card?

Also, how does the Surutto Kansai Pre-paid Card/Suica Card work on buses? I know how they work on trains but not buses...any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!!!
by Daniel  

found this 2008/11/4 17:54
www.surutto.com/conts/ticket/3dayeng/map.html
Hi there I found this today, and as I understand it the map for the thru pass is the same as for the prepaid cards
Not sure about how to use on the busses..seems you put it in the fare machine, which in Kyoto busses is in the front where you get off: you get on in the back.....
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/4 19:30
how does the Surutto Kansai Pre-paid Card/Suica Card work on buses?

In case of flat fare buses, you put them through a small machine when exiting the bus.

In case of buses on which the fare varies on the distance traveled, you additionally put the card through a small machine when entering the bus.
by Uji rate this post as useful

So... 2008/11/4 19:43
Ok, so let me get this right...

On a flat fare bus you only scan it once in the machine at the END of your trip....

And on non-flat fare buses you have to scan it at the BEGINNING of your trip and at the END also?

Thanks again!!
by Daniel rate this post as useful

.... 2008/11/4 21:16
I think that's right. Although, there might be some flat-fare buses on which you also scan the card on entrance and exit.

Just look out for a small box at the entrance and exit.

...... 2008/11/5 05:24
OK now I remember: thanks Uji

Thanks!! 2008/11/5 10:55
Thank you for all your help!
by Daniel rate this post as useful

length of duration 2009/4/24 18:33
Hi for how long is the pre-paid card valid?? We have inadvertently come home with ours with 900Y left: we meant to give them to family in Osaka, and forgot, but as we are going back in October next year we are wondering whether to just keep hold of them???

... 2009/4/25 07:39
I don't think it will ever expire. So, I think you can use it as long as these "analog" prepaid cards are still accepted. There is currently no end of acceptance in sight, but it is not unlikely that they will eventually be entirely replaced by IC cards like it happened in the Tokyo area.

Even then, there will probably be a period during which you can exchange your old prepaid cards with new IC cards or even get a refund.

... 2009/4/25 07:40
I read over the "this October" part. You will certainly be able to still use it this autumn.

thanks 2009/4/25 14:27
Thanks so much Uji....we could always post them back to family anyway so no great dramas..not a great deal left on them either but it is a few bus/subway rides!!!! The cards made life so easy in Kyoto and Osaka ..it was an absolute breeze, especially being able to avoid the ticket machines, and not having to worry about having the right change on the buses. We used them heaps, especially on Kyoto subways: we went through a 3000Y card and then have only 910Y left on a 2000Y card: and that was in only 1 week: 4 full days in Kyoto, and 8 nights in Osaka. We will keep them and use on our return!!!

. 2009/4/25 15:00
Even in the Tokyo area, even though the ticket gates (minus disneyland) do not accept old magnetic prepaid cards like Passnet anymore, many of the ticketing machines still do accept them as fare payment, so if you ever happened to have an old passnet card you can still use them at the machine to purchase a regular ticket.

Since kansai hasn't fully implemented a IC system like Tokyo metro area, your old prepaid kansai card should still work.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread