Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where restaurant can I find Hida Beef? 2008/11/4 17:31
I'm surely that I cant go to Takayama, but I wanna taste Hida beef!!

How can I find Hida Beef Restaurant in Tokyo? (and suitable price too)

Thank you
by air  

. 2008/11/5 00:12
Is there a reason to specify Hida beef for tasting?

There are so many types of Wagyu beef/cows in Japan that are equal to or better than Hida's wagyu beef.

I've had it before and its not as insanely marbled as the main 3 famous wagyu cows in Japan near Hyogo/Mie prefecture, namely Matsuzaka or Kobe or Oumi. However Hida is from the same ancestry breed, just perhaps different breeding programs and offsprings and breeding grounds. Which is a good thing because it doesn't only taste of fat, but of meat as well.

Its probably not easy to find Hida outside Gifu, due to competition I believe, but I highly recommend Yamagata's Yonezawa beef, who are also famous for their Grade 4, meatier types of Wagyu (but both have Grade 5 as well of course, whereas the main 3 famous ones try too hard to sell/maintain only fattyy Grade 5). Yamagata ones are very slightly nuttier/complex than Gifu's Hida in my opinion. Probably the best flavoursome meat I've tried in Japan.

Also I find that despite the supposedly national Grading of wagyu, in the Grade 5 beefs of Yonezawa or Hida, they still seem much less fatty than Grade 5 Kobe beef, which has big strands of fat its almost ridiculous and its chewy as well. Matzuzaka's meanwhile just melts in the mouth, the fat marbling is slightly more stringy or narrower with a better pattern, also very pink, you can just eat them raw! Amazing.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread