Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

30 days itinerary in Japan - is this ok? 2008/11/7 10:50
Hi,

I'm going to Japan from 4th Dec to 3rd Jan.
I would like advice if this plan is doable and whether I should add/drop/change places I will go to.

I'm not sure whether I should drop Nagoya and spend an extra day somewhere else, but not sure where. Should I stay at Kanazawa for a night instead of a day trip there.

Here is my current itinerary (link to a screenshot):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v446/ina_j/...

Thanks,

Ina
by Ina J  

problems 2008/11/7 14:35
Ina, the screen shot is difficult to read....maybe my old eyes. Day trip to Kagoshima from Kyoto; a big NO That is at least a 5.5 hour trip
You seem to have Otaru as a day trip whilst in Hakata; major problem. Day trip to Nagasaki from Kyoto; major problem.
Last item; 8pm to Canberra. I take it that you are an Aussie. Happy to talk by phone or email regarding your trip. I can be contacted by "Leave a message" at http://www.rodsrailpage.fotopic.net/
by RodW rate this post as useful

30 days itinerary 2008/11/7 18:16
Sorry for the small screenshot.
It's probably best if I write it here:

December:
5th: Arrive Tokyo. Drop some stuff at Sister's place. Go straight to Osaka. Explore Osaka. Stay at Osaka 3 nights.
6th: Day Trip to Himeji/Kobe. Overnight at Osaka.
7th: Osaka - overnight
8th: Go to Kyoto stay for 4 nights
9th: Day trip to Nara. Overnight at Kyoto.
10th: Kyoto
11th: Kyoto
12th: Kanazawa overnight
13th: Okayama
14th: Go to Shikoku islad day trip - overnight at Okayama
15th: Hiroshima and maybe Miyajima. Stay overnight at Hiroshima.
16th: Hakata - overnight
17th: Day trip Nagasaki - overnight at Hakata
18th: Kumamoto
19th: Day trip Kagoshima, overnight @ Kumamoto
20th: Back to Tokyo - overnight @ Tokyo
21st: Fly to Sapporo
22nd: Day trip to Otaru - overnight at Sapporo
23rd: Sapporo
24th: Fly back to Tokyo at night. Sapporo during the day.
25th Dec - 3rd Jan: Tokyo

I still haven't got plans for the 10 days in Tokyo. Any suggestions?

I'm planning to use the JR rail pass from 5th Dec to 25th Dec - 21 days rail pass. Is this a good way to use this? Am I using it effectively?

Thanks
by Ina J rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/11/8 06:22
10 days in Tokyo is far too long even for a first trip! better to use at least 3-4 days to extend some of the stays in other places that are far too tight. The various neigbourhoods of Tokyo are self contained towns, often with the same big and small stores as other neighbourhoods. Tokyo is an amazing vibrant city but it is not a very pretty one and has few historical buildings compared to Kyoto, Nara etc. or Paris, London etc. as it was nearly totally destroyed twice in the 20th century. You could spend 4 days only in Tokyo proper and see most of it plus spend 1 day in Kamakura and 1 in Nikko.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/8 08:53
From a geographical point of view, Kanazawa is better visited along the way between Tokyo and western Japan. For example: Tokyo - Kanazawa - Osaka

You could also save some time (but not money) by flying from Kagoshima (or Kumamoto) to Sapporo and then back to Tokyo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Nikko & Kamakura 2008/11/8 09:28
I think I will spend part of the 10 days at Nikko. Is it better to do day trips or stay overnight at Nikko.

And same case with Kamakura, is a day trip ok?

... 2008/11/8 10:19
Both, Nikko and Kamakura can be visited in day trips. Kamakura, in particular, does not require more than one day. But Nikko potentially has enough attractions for a two or even three day stay, especially if you like the outdoors.

But considering your limited time, I recommend a day trip each.

Nikko & Kamakura 2008/11/8 10:32
Thanks Uji.

How much would the train fares be for travelling to Nikko & Kamakura. Since I only have 21days JR pass which will be used up by the 25th, it's unlikely that I'll be able to use the pass. Is it cheaper spending a night at Nikko?

I think I might do a day trip to Kamakura...but I'm still considering whether I should spend a night at Nikko. Trying to find a cheap place to stay for 2 ppl.

And do you think my itinerary is doable? I was going to go to Kanazawa before Osaka, but then I have to cancel and re-book all my accommodations again.

Kumamoto to Tokyo 2008/11/8 12:12
I just checked Hyperdia and it says it will take 6-7 hrs from Kumamoto to Tokyo.
It also says that I have to use Tsubame and Nozomi.

Do you know how much these costs? Also, are there other passes I should get on top of my 21 day JR pass?

Thanks

overnight in nikko 2008/11/8 12:21
I recommend you stay overnight in Nikko it is so pretty. A cheap minshuku is Narusawa lodge on the www.hostelworld.com

You can use your JR railpass to get there although you need to make sure you get connecting trains.
by jgirlgoz rate this post as useful

Nikko 2008/11/8 12:56
jgirlgoz

My 21 day railpass would have expired by then. So do you know how much it costs to go to Nikko?

nikko passes 2008/11/8 13:46
Here is a link for passes for nikko.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html

They are good value
by jgirlgoz rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/9 09:56
I wrote:
But considering your limited time, I recommend a day trip each.

The above statement was based on the wrong assumption that you have only limited time. If you have lots of time, I also recommend to overnight in Nikko.

How much would the train fares be for travelling to Nikko & Kamakura.

Acces to Kamakura:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3115.html

Access to Nikko:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html

I just checked Hyperdia and it says it will take 6-7 hrs from Kumamoto to Tokyo.
It also says that I have to use Tsubame and Nozomi.

No, you can take hikari trains instead of nozomi.

Do you know how much these costs?

The Tsubame limited express train and the hikari trains are fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass. The nozomi is not.

Nikko 2008/11/9 12:50
Thanks Uji!

I might consider spending a night there. Will need to find a reasonably cheap place to stay though for 2 ppl since my sister might come too.

Uji wrote - The Tsubame limited express train and the hikari trains are fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass. The nozomi is not.

I won't have the rail pass in my last week in Japan since I will use the 21 day JR passd in the first 3 weeks. So will the Limited Exp & Hikari trains be expensive when going to Nikko?

,,, 2008/11/9 16:15
Yes, it is a long, expensive train ride. You can look up fares here:
http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

reply to this thread