Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

big dogs in Japan 2008/11/11 14:10

Can anyone tell me about the keeping of a big dog in Japan? Laws, problems etc.
by filaru  

... 2008/11/11 22:27
It depends on the place where you live.
Registering and rabies shot are prescribed by national law. Other relevant matters are regulated by each local ordinance. Most of local ordinance prescribe leashing a dog at a walk. Few municipalities prescribe caging big dog.
If you reside in an apartment you should confirm rules for residence. Not a few apartments prohibit keeping big dog.

By the way, a big dog like retriever is not hated generally in Japan.
by pochiwan rate this post as useful

dogs 2008/11/11 23:09
big dogs are ok but very difficult to handle if you live in a big city. if you live out in the sticks it's not a problem at all. either way, as long as you have the space big dogs are OK.

the most common "big dog" here is the shiba inu which is pretty small by north american standards.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

VERY BIG dogs 2008/11/11 23:41
Thanks a lot!

And what about really BIG dogs - such as different Molosser breeds (English mastiff, Great Dane, Fila brasileiro)? Is there any laws agains their breeding and keeping?
by filaru rate this post as useful

Big Dogs 2008/11/12 06:13
I have seen golden retrievers & black labs in Japan. There was a guy I see in the Shibuya area walking them all the time. Thats the biggest dogs Ive seen there though.
by ASG rate this post as useful

unsure 2008/11/12 07:22
not sure about the laws but i would not be surprised if there are laws about certain breeds like pit bulls.

great danes in tokyo would certainly not be very practical, your dog would take up half your apartment just lying down.

biggest dogs i see commonly as mentioned above are golden retrievers, labs, border collies, etc. big dogs would be a pain to clean up after in tokyo.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

About breeding 2008/11/12 11:23
I think the law regulates as follows.
“ฎ•จ‚ฬˆคŒ์‚ฦŠว—‚ษŠึ‚ท‚้–@—ฅ(The law about protection and management of the animals)

The law regulates breeding business in detail. It needs permission of governor.
But non-business breeding is regulated by only one clause. It mentions improper breeding and castration, at the 37th clause.
It doesn't distinguish big dog and small dog.

the import of big dogs 2008/11/13 14:50
Oh! That is great - very omportant and useful information, thanks a lot.

And how is the import of big dogs regulating?

import 2008/11/13 21:01
Read this website, please. (for non-business import)
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/

breeds which are not allowed to import 2008/11/14 16:05
pochiwan, thank you very much for the link!

And would you be so kind to help in finding a list of those dog breeds,which are rejected in importing?

... 2008/11/14 21:50
I'm sorry that I can't help you for your all needs. I'm a dog lover but I'm not an expert. The following is somewhat my guess, not official information. Please note. And confirm to the authorities.
Generally, the main concern of the authorities of Japanese government about animal import seems to be the disease and wild animals. About dog, they pay attention to rabies but not breeds of dog because there is no law to regulate breeds.
Generally, law and ordinance of Japan don't distinguish big dog and small dog. Though there is discussion. (Some persons insist fighting dog like Tosaken should be prohibited as in Europe). However, a few local governments may have regulated already. Please confirm to their offices, which is in the town that you will move to.
And, I agree with winterwolf. Our housing doesnft suit to big dog.

dog shows` results 2008/11/15 00:26
pochiwan, thanks for your kind reply.

I am glad to be in contact with other dog fans.

So I know Japan is a FCI member and different dog shows are organized regulary in the country. Where could I see the results of the biggest ones? Especially 2 FCI group...

dogs 2008/11/15 05:43
GOOGLE IT!!!! for FCI shows it took me less than 1 second to get their page !!!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread