Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Exporting your dog from Japan 2008/11/12 16:13
Usually, there are questions about bringing your dog to Japan. Instead, I'd like to know if anyone brought their dog from Japan to another country. I'm returning to the USA. I'd like to know about any difficulties on the Japan side of things. Do they verify the microchip at the airport? Was it stressful?, etc.
by Dr Bob  

Exporting dog from Japan 2008/11/13 10:27
This shouldnt be too much of a problem, the dog might have to sit in Quarantine for a while in the US though to make sure its not sick
by Sam Jones rate this post as useful

while in Japan 2008/11/13 11:22
Thanks, but I'm mainly concerned about what happens at the airport in Japan. I can call the CDC in the USA and actually speak to someone. I'm worried about what happens in Japan mainly because my Japanese is awful, and I don't think I'll be able to get a straight answer from anyone there.
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

taking dog out of Japan 2008/11/13 16:19
I haven't yet taken my dogs out of Japan (this time) but I did some research on it because I thought at one point I would be leaving...
Here is a very informative website:
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/export.html

At Narita Airport, from where I thought I would leave, there is an office in which the pets are examined, presumably a cursory inspection to check the paperwork and their health. Sixteen years ago I did this as well, it was perfunctory but stressful - stressful just because I was moving and had two big dogs and it seemed rather impossible to accomplish everything I needed to do. Narita has improved greatly since then in 'user-friendliness' and there are English-speaking information desks that can help. The quarantine office is down in a labyrinth; if you are leaving from Narita, and are near it at all, it might be worth a dog-less trip to the airport just to scope it out.

The last time I entered the states with dogs was ten years ago, and the inspection was strictly of the paperwork. No quarantine whatsoever as long as the rabies vaccination and health certificate meets the requirements, which can be found here:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal/index.htm
My apologies if you're not leaving from Narita, I don't know how the other airports are set up.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/11/17 09:26
I actually brought my dog from the USA to Narita (with help), so I am used to the facilities there. I was wondering if the Animal Quarantine Service checks the dog's microchip during the exam. I have a USA chip, and would need to obtain a different reader if this is the case.

Microchip 2008/11/17 20:36
AQS at Narita do check the dog's microchip on arrivalinto Japan - so if you didn't have any problems then, you will be OK when you leave. For peace of mind, check that your dog's microchip is ISO 11784 or 11785 compliant.

I have recently exported a dog (and cat) out of Japan. The key thing is to concentrate on your destination country's requirements.

AQS at Narita will check the Health Certificate, Vaccination Certificate and Microchip. They will also inspect your pet to make sure they are fit to fly. We got to Narita about 4 hours before we were due to fly to allow time to go through AQS; the whole thing took less than 30 minutes. (Checking my pets in took longer!).
by Ghyllie rate this post as useful

microchip 2008/11/17 21:11
My dog's chip isn't ISO. I had a special chip reader from the USA brought with her so they could read it. That was my main concern, whether they need to check the chip on export, since I'll need to obtain the reader again then.

Did you go to a vet in Japan to get the Health Certificate then? Within a certain time period? In the USA, you have to get it within 10 days of travel. Or do they issue one at Narita? I am assuming not.

The USA requirements don't seem too much, but I can call the CDC to talk to someone. I'm concerned about being able to communicate clearly here in Tokyo and then at Narita.

Thanks.

Health Certificate 2008/11/17 22:17
You'll need to get a reader then, as they will definitely check that the dog's micropchip number matches the one on the paperwork.

I got the Animal Health Certifcate completed at a Vets in Tokyo; it needs to be issued a maximum of 10 days before departure (I got ours done the day before)(I can recommend a really great English speaking Vet in Tokyo if you need one). You cannot get this done at Narita. AQS at Narita will issue an Export Certificate for your pet after the inspection.

I didn't have a problem communicating with AQS at Narita, they spoke some English, and combined with my fairly limited Japanese, we got through it.

Good luck!

vet recommendation 2008/11/18 10:19
Yes, I'll take any recommendations you've got. I don't even really care about my own stuff, I just want to make sure my dog will be ok. Thanks.

Good Vet 2008/11/19 21:29
This place was fantastic with our pets. It's on Meiji-Dori.

Angell Memorial Hiroo Central Hospital, 5-24-1 Hiroo, Shibuya-Ku, Tokyo 150-0012. Phone 03-5420-0012.

I hope everything goes well for both of - I know just how stressful and worrying it can be shipping your pet.

reply to this thread