Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Duration of Pasmo cards 2008/11/13 23:00
Hello,

I will be arriving in Tokyo on November 16th where I am staying for 4 nights, and I will be purchasing a PASMO card to move around the city.

MY question is, how long is a PASMO card actually valid for?

Do you have to buy one everyday, or can you buy one that lasts several days, therefore (hopefully) saving money on travelling around within Tokyo?

I am a keen photographer, and therefore I want something that I can use throughout the day - and especially the night, as night time photography is something I will concentrating on a lot during my stay.

Also, how long does the JR Rail and local subway network stay open until each night? As I don't to become stranded somewhere and end up paying through my nose for a taxi - as I have read that taxis are very expensive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dean
by Dean Francis  

... 2008/11/14 10:01

It only expires if you do not use it for ten years.

Also, how long does the JR Rail and local subway network stay open until each night?

Most trains stop by around 1am in the Tokyo area.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/14 10:10

Do you have to buy one everyday, or can you buy one that lasts several days, therefore (hopefully) saving money on travelling around within Tokyo?

PASMO is a thick plastic reloadable "prepaid" card, that you can load value onto to pay the fare for trains and subways without the need to buy individual tickets. This is mostly for saving the time and hassle of standing in front of the ticket vending machine each time you ride. But this does not give you any discount.

If you plan to travel extensively throughout the day, taking subways several times a day, etc., AND are thinking of saving money on that, then Metro 1-Day Card might be a better deal, because this is valid for one day, with unlimited rides on and off the metro subways (note that this does not cover JR trains).
by ... rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/14 17:27
(note that this does not cover JR trains)

Neither does it cover four of the twelve subway lines, which are operated by Toei.

Tokyo's range of day passes is very unattractive (incomplete coverage and/or too expensive) and often do not pay off for the average tourist. Nevertheless, here you can find more information about them:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

by Uji rate this post as useful

suica maybe 2008/11/15 08:43
have you considered a suica card?? same 10 year validity, and can be used outside tokyo whereas pasmo cannot...
by fmj rate this post as useful

PASMO rules! 2008/11/15 10:24
I enjoy using PASMO. It takes me anywhere without getting lost at the ticketing machine(, which I used to do always..)

http://www.chopsticksny.com/contents/down-in-tokyo/2008/06/0...

http://www.pasmo.co.jp/en/index.html
by metro girl rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/12/5 05:17
Thanks to everyone who responded to my original question, and I found all your information very helpful.

I am now back in England and I had a great time in Japan and l will be going back again in future years.

Thanks again,

Dean
by Dean Francis rate this post as useful

reply to this thread