Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translate correctly please? 2008/11/14 15:51
Hello,
I am trying to write to someone to ask if they will design a tattoo for me. This is what I want to say:

"My name is Nicole. My Japanese translation is very inaccurate. I only speak a little Japanese. Sorry! ^_^

I think that your art is beautiful. When I first saw your art, I felt a very strong connection to it.

I am planning on getting a tattoo. I would be extremely grateful to you if you would design one for me. I know that this is a big favor to ask of you, and I understand if you have no time for it. I know you are probably very busy.

If you can, I would love it if you would please contact me. I would like to discuss the design and the price. Thank you for your time.

***Nicole"

--------

And below is what I tried to translate on my own. I was just wondering if anyone would please read it for me and correct any errors?

---------

私の名前はニコールである。私の日本翻訳は非常に不正確である。 私は日本語少しだけ話す。私は謝る! ^_^

私はあなたの芸術が美しいと考える。私があなたの芸術を見たときに、私はそれと接続されて感じた。

私は入れ墨を得ようと思っている。入れ墨を設計するか。私は非常に感謝している。私はこれが頼むべき大きい好意であることを知っている。私はこれのための時間がないかもしれないことを知っている。私はおそらく忙しいことを理解する。

できたら私に連絡しなさい。 喜んでなら、私はあなたと話すことを望む。私は設計および価格を論議することを望む。あなたの時間の間本当にありがとう。

*** ニコール
by nicole  

Re:Translate correctly please? 2008/11/14 18:59
Hi Nicole,

I think your Japanese is really good. You must study hard!!! However, there are some informal expressions. Here is my translation;
My name is Nicole. My Japanese translation is very inaccurate. I only speak a little Japanese. Sorry!
私の名前は二コールです。垂オ訳ありませんが、私の日本語はあまり正確ではありません。私は少しだけ日本語を話します。

I think that your art is beautiful. When I first saw your art, I felt a very strong connection to it.
私はあなたの作品はすばらしいと思います。私が初めてあなたの作品を見たとき、その作品に対してとても強いつながりを感じました。

I am planning on getting a tattoo. I would be extremely grateful to you if you would design one for me. I know that this is a big favor to ask of you, and I understand if you have no time for it. I know you are probably very busy.
私は入れ墨を入れようと思っています。あなたはとても忙しくお時間がないことは承知していますが、もし私の入れ墨をデザインしていただけたら大変うれしく存じます。

If you can, I would love it if you would please contact me. I would like to discuss the design and the price. Thank you for your time.
もし引き受けていただけるのであれば、ぜひご連絡いただけますでしょうか。デザインやお値段の相談をさせていただきたいです。よろしくお願いいたします。

by Karine rate this post as useful

Watch level of language 2008/11/15 08:13
Be careful Nicole with the level of politeness in your phrases- in one of your sentences you wrote 連絡しなさい。

。。。しなさい is a fairly abrupt command, used by parents to children or teachers to students- you could have caused offense by saying it to the artist you want to speak to. You might need to look again at the level of politeness of different phrases in Japanese.

Also「である」is not really used in modern spoken Japanese- stick with the です/ます forms.

Karine has given you a good version.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Some interpretation 2008/11/15 10:27
Some of the things in the speech

Watashi no - mine
omoii (thinking, field shape over a feeling lines like face expressions)
namae wa - name (has two kangi - one facing fowards over a mouth shape & the second for time before, includes a moon shape & a roof & measurement symbol like 2 paths).
nicooru (Nicole)
de - action of naming particle (politer than o)
aru - are
Watashi no Nihon - My Japan
nihongo - Japanese
Some other phrases okii - large (a person standing astride)
shiru/tte iru - understand (looks like someone keen to look in a window/mirror)
kore - here
jibun - time
arigato - thankyou
anata - you
hanasu speak (a speach symbol of lines with mouth below & a person symbol for communication)
koto - word
kaegu - return (looks like a sash across cobra head)

Not many polite expressions that I can see. ie. good morning - arigatoo gozaimasu or doozo yoroshiku (not sure of the exact meaning, how are you kind of thing, here you are with good grace) etc.

by Rhubarb rate this post as useful

reversal? 2008/11/15 20:44
Rhubarb, Nicole already translated the passage from English into Japanese for herself, and the English is above the Japanese in her post- why translate random words from it back into English?
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/17 16:37
I agree with Sira; Karine has given the OP a good version.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread