Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

going to onsen with a flu? 2008/11/18 18:10
Is it ok among Japanese if you have a slight flu and wanna enter the onsen pool?
by daf  

Flu 2008/11/18 18:45
Daf,

No, it's not OK. Apart from not being good for your own health, it is extremely inconsiderate of other users. Please stay at home until you're fully recovered.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

flu 2008/11/19 03:30
Isnt this really common sense & social courtesy any where in the world?
If you really have the flu, why in the world would you want to leave the house let alone go to an onsen and expose hundreds of other people?
When I had a real case of the flu, I could barely get out of bed let alone go to an onsen or anywhere else for that matter.
by cf rate this post as useful

"slight flu"? 2008/11/19 07:46
I was also wondering what a "slight flu" was- the flu is a serious illness. If you are healthy enough to get out of bed you are either mostly recovered, or you just have a cold. The flu makes most people very sick, I don't think there is a "slight" version.
by Sira rate this post as useful

flu and cold are different 2008/11/19 08:17
I've noticed that some people, at least in the U.S., tend to call colds "flu".

Flu means "influenza" and it feels like you're having a cold, but it is a totally different disease that can turn out to be critical if you don't take very proper care of it. A public bath is out of the question. And in Japan, people believe that if you even have a slight cold, taking a bath is not good for you.
by Uco rate this post as useful

'cold' 2008/11/19 08:30
sorry guys, i meant a cold then.. well if it wasn't bad enough for the doctor here to give the person a medical certificate for taking byookyu, then i guess it's considered a 'cold'?

anyway, thanks for the answers!
by daf rate this post as useful

cold vs flu 2008/11/19 08:32
i come from singapore and we're used to calling a 'cold', flu.. so i guess that might have caused the misunderstanding...
by daf rate this post as useful

same for colds 2008/11/19 22:36
My husband (Japanese) will always skip taking a bath if he has a cold. If you still have symptoms, i.e. coughing, sneezing, running nose, best to avoid the onsen for now.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread