Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Playing Pro Baseball in Japan 2008/11/19 02:23
I am a senior shortstop at Penn State University- Abingon. I am interested in furthering my baseball career once i graduate college in May. I may or may nbot be drafted by a Major League team here in the states. I am looking to play overseas somewhere. Can anyone help me on this matter? Thank You
by Michael Angelo  

difficult 2008/11/19 10:24
that's difficult. you have to be an exceptional player to get into the major leagues in japan, and being a foreigner you're basically time limited to a few years in the big leagues if you can even get into them in the first place. that being said there are a lot of foreign players playing baseball especially of latin american descent - i think there's more puerto ricans playing here than any other race.

i'd recommend making some ball playing friends in japan, come to japan as a student or to work and join a serious league. if you get into a league and do well in tokyo there are scouts all over the place who may take notice of you.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

It's near 2008/11/19 18:24
It's damn near impossible unfortunately, at least in Japan. (not sure about other baseball playing Asian countries such as Taiwan, South Korea, etc.) The reasons I say this is because:
1. There are limited slots available on each roster for foreigners.
2. Teams are looking for players who can come in, contribute for a few years max, and then head back home. (ie. career AAA minor leaguers, fringe big leaguers, etc.) There have been some young Latin American players such as Alfonso Soriano and Timo Perez who were in minor league clubs in Japan but it's rare.

As mentioned earlier, you can certainly try by going to Japan with another occupation, playing in an independent league, and then taking your chances that way. Otherwise, try other countries as there are certainly other pro baseball leagues around the world and those that are non-Asian and in Europe.

Good luck!
by LakeShow rate this post as useful

reply to this thread