Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka and Kyoto Itinerary 2008/11/20 14:32
Hi
We are a group of 4 heading to Kansai area on 14/12/08. This is just so exciting and the planning part is so much overwhelming. Lucky we came across this website and found so much useful info. However we are now overloading with info instead. Would you please have a look at our itinerary and advise if its ok. Transportation is our biggest headache. Hopefully someone will be able to provide some info.

Day 1 - Arrive at KIA at 4:30pm
What is the best way to get to Cross Hotel in Namba Osaka?
We will probably explore Shinsaibashi-Suji shopping street and end our night with dinner at Dotombori.
Is Shinsaibashi-Suji shopping street and Dotombori within walking distance from Cross Hotel?

Day 2 - Day trip to Kyoto
Kyoto Station – the 15 floors of shopping mall looks impressive. Will probably spend an hour here.
Kiyomizudera – Highlight of the trip.
Walk of Philosophy
Nijo Castle
Imperial Palace
Kinkakuji – Is it worthwhile to visit this temple given that it is up north and quite a distance away from where we are (Kiyomizudera etc)

We have been reading up the bus route but it is very confusing. Please can someone advise on the transportation between the above places.
Do we take Keihan in Osaka to Kyoto?

Day 3 – Osaka
Osaka Castle
Tenjimbashi-Suji Shopping Street
Shinsaibashi-Suji Shotengai
Don Quixote Ferris Wheel (Ebisu Tower)

Day 4 – Osaka
Shin Umeda City

Basically shopping for the 2 days in Osaka. No choice, the ladies have shopping on the top of their priority

Day 5 – Move to Arima Grand Hotel
Check out at 10am from Cross Hotel. Can we leave out luggage at the lobby while we do out last minute shopping and have lunch at Dotombori?
About 1pm start journey to Arima Grand hotel. Again can someone advise on the transportation.

Day 6 – Flying home about 6pm KIA
Any suggestion what we can do from checkout 10am to 6pm before we fly home.
Last question….yes you guess it. How do we get to KIA.

Thank you in advance
by fatdog  

... 2008/11/21 09:17
What is the best way to get to Cross Hotel in Namba Osaka?

See here:
http://www.crosshotel.com/eng_osaka/access.html

Is Shinsaibashi-Suji shopping street and Dotombori within walking distance from Cross Hotel?

Yes, it is just next to it! See here:
http://www.crosshotel.com/eng_osaka/access.html

The day in Kyoto is too packed. And the Imperial Palace requires advance reservations for a guided tour.

Do we take Keihan in Osaka to Kyoto?

Yes, sounds like a good way to access Kyoto.

Check out at 10am from Cross Hotel. Can we leave out luggage at the lobby while we do out last minute shopping and have lunch at Dotombori?

Most hotels should be able to do that.

About 1pm start journey to Arima Grand hotel. Again can someone advise on the transportation.

It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3558.html

How do we get to KIA:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2033.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Rinku town 2008/11/21 12:44
1.Any suggestion what we can do from checkout 10am to 6pm before we fly home.

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/transittour/index.html
I'd recommend you to spend a few hours at Rinku Town near the airport.

Just get off the train at RINKU Town station(one stop back of KIX airport train station). An inexpensive airport bus(100yen) is available from Rinku town to the airport.

http://www.premiumoutlets.co.jp/en/rinku/index.php
by Ts rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/11/23 15:41
I would take the Imperial palace off the itinerary because you have to apply for permission to visit and you can only visit with a tour guide. I would also take off the pass of philosophy walk unless you really want to do it is best when the cherry blossoms are in bloom, and they arenft in December.
I enjoyed Kinkakuji and I would recommend it.

It is still going to be a very packed day. Here is my suggested itinerary:

Arrive at Kyoto station by 8:30am. Purchase an all day bus pass from the bus information centre outside Kyoto station.
Take bus 9, 50 or 101 from Kyoto station to Nijo-jo mae and visit Nijo Castle.
Then take bus 12 or 101 from the stop you got off at in front of Nijo Castle (Nijo-jo mae) and get off at kinkakuji-michi to visit kinkakuji.
Take bus 101 or 205 from the stop you got off at outside Kinkakuji (kinkakuji-michi) and take it back to Kyoto station.
Depending on what time you get back to Kyoto station have a look around the shopping mall before catching bus 100 or 206 from Kyoto station to either Gojo-zaka or Kyomizu-michi and walk up the hill to Kyomizudera. Spend the rest of your day there before heading back to Kyoto station.

Buying a bus pass will make it easier to catch the buses as all you do is get on using the back door of the bus, then we you reach your stop you exit using the front door and insert your bus pass into the machine next to the driver on your way out. Some buses have bus stops announced in English which is helpful! Otherwise kindly ask another passenger to tell you when you need to get off.

I managed to find a copy of the bus routes on the internet after many searches in google. I can't remember which website it is from though. If you are comfortable posting your email address I can email it to you.

Hopefully this is helpful for you.
by Erin rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/23 15:45
Kyoto is not very far from Osaka, you could always go back there for half of one of your shopping days if you run out of time on the first day.
by Sung rate this post as useful

Thanks everyone 2008/11/23 23:18
Thank you for all the valuable info and suggestions.

Uji
Thanks for pointing us to the relevant tread. I am sure we had came across some of these link that you have provided. It was just lost in the sea of info we had gathered. You have helped us arranged it to tie with our query. cheers.

Ts
Will surely check out Rinku Town. Seem to be a good curtain drawer to our holiday. The ladies will be thrilled to have a chance at last minute shopping :P

Erin
Thanks very much for the great info and suggestions. We will probably drop the Imperial palace from our plan. Not sure why we have walk of philosophy on the list. I also dont know what is there to do there :P Guess its because we read that a lot of people are doing the walk so we thought we should have a look. haha..

Sung
If Kyoto is really enjoyable hopefully I can convince the ladies to give up some shopping time to go Kyoto for a second round.

Thanks again guys.
Please do feel free to comment or suggest on our Osaka and Kyoto trip

cheers
by fatdog rate this post as useful

Erin 2008/11/23 23:21
Hi Erin

Here is my email address: steven_leewg@yahoo.com.sg

It will be great if you can email the info to me

cheers
by fatdog rate this post as useful

shopping 2008/11/28 05:51
Please note that the "mall" at the JR Kyoto station is not 15 stories high. The station itself has a huge entrance hall that looks like it is well over 10 stories high. It is an atrium, with a roof and walls in glass and is open at both ends. On one side is a department store called Isetan that is owned by JR. Near the top at the West side (the one with a giant staircase)there are many restaurants and the entrance to a walkway suspended under the roof. There are spectacular views at one or 2 points towards the town. Underground the plaza at the entrance is a shopping mall "Porta" that is linked to Kyoto subway. Go to the tourist information bureau on the mezzanine of the station. They are very helpful. I have been there many times and always spend well over 1 hour just for a "quick" tour. The Rinku town outlets http://www.premiumoutlets.co.jp/en/ sell the usual brand names from the USA and Europe. That company (Chelsea premium outlets)has similar outlets in the USA. I have gone to the one near Seattle several times but never bought anything as the prices aren't that low . The prices in Japan aren't that low either and I had rather buy something Japanese than stuff found all over the world BUT TO EACH ITS OWN. be careful about last minute shopping as you may have to buy an extra suitcase and pay dearly for the extra luggage.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread