Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 days - Tokyo & Hokkaido 2008/11/21 00:31
Hi,
I'm going to Japan from 24 Jan to 7 Feb.

Will be going to:
1. Tokyo to Kyoto (2 days)
2. Osaka (2 days)
3. Hokkaido (6 Days)
4. Tokyo (4 Days)

Not sure if my itinerary is feasible, would love to have your inputs.
Also, should I be getting the 7 day JR pass for the Hokkaido or the 14 day pass for the whole trip?

by reine  

... 2008/11/22 11:35
I strongly recommend to fly to Hokkaido. You will save lots of time:

Tokyo - (shinkansen) - Kyoto (train) - Osaka - (air) - Hokkaido - (air) - Tokyo.

If possible, use an air pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks, 2008/11/23 23:40
Hi Uji,
Thanks!

Do you think it's hard to travel around Hokkaido between end Jan and Early Feb? People who have been there are saying that it's hard to walk cos of the snow.

What do you think? I may just be spending all 14 days in tokyo instead.
by reine rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/24 07:35
Do you think it's hard to travel around Hokkaido between end Jan and Early Feb?

Walking in the city should be no problem if you bring proper shoes and walk carefully. In the countryside and in the national parks, many hiking and walking trails will be closed due to the snow.

As for driving, there is the chance that you will encounter snow or ice on the road. It can be very dangerous. If you have no experience with driving on snow, I recommend to think twice about renting a car.
by Uji rate this post as useful

14 days - Tokyo & Hokkaido 2008/11/24 17:51
Hi Reine
If you really like winter sports and scenery, Hokkaido is the place. There are many winter activities and festivals during winter.
Wear a pair of long boots, this guarantee that snow will not get into your feet. Lawson or those convenience stores do sell those shoe grip to tie to your shoes.
Go for it!

I have been to Hokkaido at least 3 times during winter time. No problem at all.

Hokkaido Lover
by Hokk lover rate this post as useful

14 days - Tokyo & Hokkaido 2008/11/24 19:17
Hey thanks all.

If I'm going Hokkaido, would be likely to travel by foot or bus. I have mixed reviews about Hokkaido being difficult to travel and easy to get around. arghhh.
by reine rate this post as useful

Travel 2008/11/24 21:47
Reine,

I am also in your position.

Looking at going to Hokkaido for 2 days in February, but it seems like a hassle with plane travel :(
by maede rate this post as useful

suggestion 2008/11/25 03:11
Hokkaido is definitely worth visiting, but it deserves a special trip itself. During summer it has beautiful flower fields in Furano and Biei. In winter, there are special ice-breaking cruise in Abasiri and crane watching in Kushiro Shitsugen National Park. And of course, there are other places and things to do there, including the unique experience in Ainu culture.

But with only a few days while on a tour in mainland Honshu, it is not worthwhile to make a special long and costly journey to Hokkaido. If winter sports and scenery is what you are after, you can go to Tohoku (northern Honshu) whose beauty is unfairly overlooked. There are also winter festivals in the area during Jan. and Feb. For a glimpse of the winter scenery, take a look at these 2 places to start with:
http://www.zao-spa.or.jp
http://www.ginzanonsen.jp

by William rate this post as useful

reply to this thread