Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

good hostel in tokyo 2008/11/23 10:50
I just bought a plane ticket for tokyo for january 14-23 and I'm curious if anyone here can recommend a cheap hostel they've stayed at for me to stay at. Cheaper the better. Closer to music venues the better.
by Steven  

... 2008/11/23 11:57
This website has a rating system:
http://www.hostelworld.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

pij 2008/11/23 16:17
thanks buddy. but i mean like first hand experience with this stuff. I've checked like ten of these ratings sites and can't reach a good conclusion to my search. Hell, I've read that there are actually like internet cafe shop things that let you sleep and shower there for like 10 or 15 bucks a night. Is that true? Has anyone done that? And how come it didn't post the last half of my question?
by Steven rate this post as useful

How about stay Ryokan? 2008/11/23 17:13
How about Ryokan?Ryokan is kinda Japanese traditional hotel. Cheaper than western style hotel,but service is not bad.There are Sawanoya Ryokan in Ueno area.I think not expensive,maybe around 5000yen/night.They have English site,and lots of foreinger use this Ryokan.
http://www.tctv.ne.jp/members/sawanoya/
Also,Ueno area has lots of cheap Ryokan,too.And not far from Tokyo atation.

I know there are some internetnet cafe,and you can stey at night,but some cafe ask you to make member's card,and there are pickpocket,too.I know these are trouble some...
Some net cafe has shower and toilet,but have to care theif.
As you know net cafe's space is so small,so I couldn't sleep well,so I don't recommend it strong.
by myukku rate this post as useful

hostel in tokyo 2008/11/23 19:22
I stayed for 5 weeks at Khaosan.
Both Khaosan smile and Khaosan Annex in Asakusa.
I had a great time.
And if you don't mind sleeping with 10 people on a dorm/room
Then it's a great cheap place to stay.
Don't know about music in the area
Best place for music in tokyo i think is Shimokitazawa
but i don't know any hostels there.

Hostelworld.com is a good site to search for cheap hostels ...

Well good luck
by Martijn rate this post as useful

New Koyo 2008/11/24 08:10
I stayed here a couple of years ago, rooms from 2500yen. Rooms were quite small with not much room for more than a futon, but it was clean and there's no curfew. Recommend it for somewhere cheap.

http://www.newkoyo.com/index.html
by Lg rate this post as useful

Khaosan Tokyo Smile 2008/11/24 13:35
I would also recommend KHAOSAN TOKYO SMILE. The rooms are very well priced and the staff there are very friendly and helpful.
You get a free drink at the bar downstairs each night and the drink prices are VERY cheap beyond that. Being in Asakusa it can be hard to get out to happening places from there but that is why the prices are so good for accomidation in Asakusa!

I would recommend trying to stay in the place where you want to see your music for a few nights then head to Asakusa for the rest of your time in Tokyo to help bring your accomidation costs down.
Or don't stay out beyond 12pm!
by Relik rate this post as useful

lk 2008/11/24 16:55
Thanks guys.
I don't really mind sleeping with other people or basically in someone's closet for that matter. I'm 20 years old and don't really care what kind of place I'm in as long as I'm close to stuff and have a private shower.
I keep going back to that hostel world site and looking at stuff.
I read stuff about Asakusa being like the center for electronics stuff. I'm not really into electronics though so it might not be the best place for me, but thank you for the suggestion.

Anyone stay at this one called "Ace Inn Shinjuku?" Lot of mixed reviews. Some people hate it, some love it, some say its not even in Shinjuku. ?
by Steven rate this post as useful

Khaosan-group hostels 2008/12/3 13:15
I've stayed at the two Khaosan hostels on the Sumida-ku side of Asakusa. I am an atypical hostel occupant [I'm 52½ years of age.], but I have always had a very good time there.
The Annex has more rooms. 'Smile' has a little more atmosphere, and it was where the Khaosan bar (Bar23) was hosted. But it closed that.
The price is unbeatable. What cinches it is that Khaosan has scoped out the neighborhood to inform you where are the other good values for your money.
You do not need a JR pass to get to|from the hostels. But it is a five-block walk across the Sumida River from the Toei Asakusa Line's "Asakusa" station. The fare from Narita to Asakusa via the Keisei Limited Express line (to Aoto), and transferring to the Toei Asakusa line (It is an easy across-the-platform change.) is 1,060 [cash only]. Use the machines in the Narita station proper, not the counter in the airport terminal. The key is selecting Transfer Ticket, and then "via Oshiage Line". A button for 1,060 shall appear.
by PudgyM29 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread