Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo-Kyoto-Hokkaido in 14D Possible? 2008/11/23 17:43
Hi

This is the first time i am planning a backpack trip for 4 gals to Japan in Mar/Apr 2009.

Is it do-able to do a Tokyo-Kyoto-Hokkaido in 14 days?

I am looking at a self-drive in Hokkaido, climbing Mt Fuji, seeing the Sakura, ...

Osaka/Kyoto was thrown in by one of the gals, & we have not decided on aything yet.

From the map of Japan, it looks quite a challenge. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
by Sha  

... 2008/11/23 21:36
Yes, it is possible, although your time in Hokkaido will be limited. Note also that there is still snow in some regions of Hokkaido in March/April.

The most efficient route would be as follows:

Enter Japan through Tokyo, fly to Hokkaido, fly to Osaka/Kyoto, leave Japan through Osaka.

Climbing Mount Fuji is not possible in March/April. Even the 5th Station might not be accessible due to snow:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Another choice 2008/11/24 14:22
You could also fly into Kansai (Osaka), and use a 14 day rail pass to work your way north and east. You could still rent cars in Hokkaido using rails for the longer routes and cars for day trips. You could also easily take side trips by rail such as run down to Hiroshima for the day or take in Himeji Castle.

You can look into getting an "open jaw" ticket and fly from Sapporo, Kushiro, Wakkanai, or Hakodate back to Osaka or Tokyo for the return leg. With JAL or ANA it's $50 extra to fly into Sapporo or $125 US to fly into the other cities if you purchase the flight with your international flight. Some other airlines have agreements with Japanese airlines for the same hook-up (AA and United in the US are a couple).

There should still be quite a bit of snow in northern Honshu as well as Hokkaido in March and April, especially in the mountains. The chairlift up Mt. Moiwa in Sapporo has sometimes been closed in the end of May because of too much snow. In either month, April or May, Mt. Fuji would require winter gear for climbing and safety as there would still be a lot of snow and ice on the slopes, especially from the 5th station (Gogome) up.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

alternative mth to visit? 2008/11/24 23:54
I didn't quite expect Mar/Apr to be in snow still as i thought it will be spring time & good to catch the cherry blossoms.. when then will be suitable to visit to be able to catch cherry blossoms & still hike Mt Fuji?

- sha
by Sha rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/25 07:58
when then will be suitable to visit to be able to catch cherry blossoms & still hike Mt Fuji?

As explained in the link I posted before, July and August is the climbing season of Mount Fuji.

The timing of cherry blossoms is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_when.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread