Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Universities in Japan. IB 2008/11/24 13:22
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding the grades require for entering a University in Japan...
Alomst all Japanese univeristies will accept a stuent who has studied the international baccalaureate (IB) program and luckily I did study that. However I wasn't able to pass it... only gaining 20 point of the required 24.
I was wondering if anyone knows if I could still be considered for japanese universities ONLY have the certifcates proving I studied, without the actual Dilpoma certifcate?

ANY info on this would be great!

Thanks!

Dani
by Dani Ruth  

university 2008/11/24 15:15
Which universities are you applying to? IF it's not the ones with courses in English, do you also fulfill the language requirements for attending Japanese universities?

Entry is very competitive even for Japanese students, so without a passing grade, it seems possible that you wouldn't be accepted.

Hopefully someone can provide a more concrete answer one way or the other.
by Sira rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/11/24 15:22
I'm looking at several in the area of Chiba... including Chiba University.

I'm currently at level 2 of the JLPT and an continuing my studying of japanese until I plan to apply, for April antry 2010... so by then I dont think the language will be too much of a problem.

Right not my main concern is the IB grades.... I know it's very early to look into things, but the earlier the better i think.

I am prepared to resit my exams to pass, however if it's possible without them that woul be preferable as it complicatates the matter hugley...

Thanks for your reply ^^
by Dani Ruth rate this post as useful

are you serious? 2008/11/25 02:32
Do you seriously think you can enter any university in the world without a high school diploma? Come on now, OF COURSE you need your high school diploma. You should be more concerned about redoing your IB exams right now than to think about university right now, because no one will accept you if you can't prove that you've finished high school, even if your Japanese is good.

by D rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/25 07:35
You see the thing, is I have actually FINSHED high school (or college here) and I DO have certificates proving that I've studied my 12 years. Obviously if I did not finish my 12 years of study I know there would be no point in asking, I have done my resarch, and I know of people have entered univeristy in my situation in England, I was just curious if the same situation could happen in Japan.
by Dani Ruth rate this post as useful

hold on a sec 2008/11/26 03:04
I'm not sure I understand your situation well.

You're saying you did finish high school and have certificates to prove so. What are those certificates then? Do they prove that you've 'successfully' finished high school?

If you claim you did finish high school, then you should have your diploma, otherwise there's no point in saying that you've 'finished' high school just because you've studied there for 12 years. A university needs not only to see that you've studied for at least 12 years, but also that you've successfully completed your studies.

Or did you finish high school in your country, and decide that you wanted to do an extra IB year but didn't pass that?
If that's the case then it wouldn't matter whether you have your IB diploma or not, as long as you can present the university with a high school diploma (from your country) that's equal to a Japanese high school diploma.

If that's not the case, then I would strongly advise you to contact the university directly. In Europe and America, universities may admit students who don't have a hs diploma under strict circumstances, but I don't know if Japanese universities would allow that, so do contact them and ask them yourself.
by D rate this post as useful

reply to this thread