Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shipping v checked baggage 2008/11/24 15:09
I'm (possibly) moving back to the USA in a few months. I don't have a lot of stuff, but I would exceed the limits for the number of checked bags, as well as a the weight limits. It looks like it could get pricey.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with any shipping companies in Tokyo? I'm also wondering about cost too.
by Dr Bob  

shipping 2008/11/26 01:25
I shipped my stuff back with Japan post using the sea mail. It does take about 3 months (to europe), but I paid only 8,000yen or so for quite a heavy luggage. Some of my friends used the 'kurneko' service, check them out.
by corre rate this post as useful

more details? 2008/11/26 09:40
That's a lot better price than what the airline charges. How much stuff did you ship for that price?
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

Funabin 2008/11/26 17:48
Ask for 'funabin' surface mail at the post office. Here is a price and delivery days calculator made available by the Japanese post office: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/index.php?lang=_en

A 20kg package to the UK or US costs 25,000yen by EMS or 10,250 yen by surface mail. EMS is probably still cheaper than the airline, I bet :-)
by Kappa rate this post as useful

good call. 2008/11/28 07:31
Yes, I think that would be cheaper than the airline, if not just about the same price. My problem is that I'll have three items to check, and one of them will be pretty heavy. I just don't want to check luggage because I'll be traveling with my dog, and I really only want to worry about her and then have one carry on.

So if there's any option that's close to being cost effective v the airline, then I'm going to do it.

... 2008/11/28 09:04
If you try to check in heavy baggage with the airline, it depends on the airline but once a Japanese airline tried to charge us 10,000 yen *per kg* of excess baggage, so that would be EXTREMELY expensive.

Surface mail from the post office would be cost effective, if you can wait a few months and also if you can pack all your stuff into boxes - there will be customs check, so I don't think you can send locked suitcase, though I'm not sure about this.

If you are trying to send suitcases, I might suggest Kuroneko Yamato (Yamato Transport) overseas moving service. They would make the invoice/details statements of what is inside, so it should be easier in terms of customs clearance. This will fall under "unaccompanied baggage," "personal effects."

http://www.y-logi.com/service/kaigai/english/index.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Yamato cat! 2008/12/5 09:43
It's the cat service! I see these trucks all over Tokyo. Do they have an office, or branches anywhere. I'd like to talk to someone and explain my situation, in order to get an idea of cost.

(Will they ship my stuff on the Yamato? I don't want any Gamilons going through my stuff! Ha ha.)

... 2008/12/5 17:01
There is a "talk free" phone number on the page I gave you the link to at the bottom - I guess they mean toll free :) There should be someone who is able to speak English.

Note that this is overseas "moving" service, so be sure to tell them upfront how big (or small) the luggage will be. Once I used their service when I wanted to move from UK back to Japan, and apparently the guy who came to look at my stuff and give quotation was disappointed to see that I was not shipping any furniture but just 15 boxes of books and clothes lol.

Of course it's not that the domestic Kuroneko Yamato next-day delivery courier service simply extends to outside Japan as it is, so there will be some customs' inspection, but with their customs clearance service it should be easier. You might want to call for details.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread