Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

narita customs, snowboard and computer 2008/11/26 07:08
hey i am leaving for japan in a week and a half i was wondering how long does it take to go through customs.

and if i fill out a form for my computer in canada i dont have to claim it right. and i dont have to claim my snowboard right?

i will also have an ipod, psp, and a slr camera. i just want a hasty pass through.
by dave  

... 2008/11/26 09:12
i was wondering how long does it take to go through customs.

Customs is usually a matter of 30 seconds, unless they ask you to open your luggage, in which case it can take a minute or two. According to a japan-guide.com survey, about one out of four foreign visitors has to open his/her suitcase.

and if i fill out a form for my computer in canada i dont have to claim it right. and i dont have to claim my snowboard right?

If you bring them for personal use, you don't have to be worried about anything and need not to fill out any forms.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/11/26 10:41
thanks for the help. i hope it goes smooth.
by dave rate this post as useful

Narita Customs 2008/11/27 06:59
Hi Uji,

I read your answer to Dave's question. I'm also going to Japan and I'll be arriving there next Friday.

I will be bringing medicines for my personal use and will only bring 1 to 1.5 month supply. I have also got a letter from my doctor that I need to carry these medicines with me at all times.

In my case, how long do you think it will take for me to go through customs?

Thanks,
Ina
by Ina J rate this post as useful

not helpful 2008/11/27 08:23
Sorry, I don't know how much medicine can be brought into Japan. If you bring an amount that is within the allowed amount, it should not take you anymore time than anybody else, especially if they don't open the suitcase. If it is above the limit or you bring disallowed medicine, and customs finds out, I imagine that it can take considerably longer.

customs 2008/11/27 08:38
Ok. Thanks Uji. I've researched around and I'm bringing the allowed amount. I hope it won't take too long at customs.

at the airport 2008/11/27 08:49
There is no need to declare your medicine. Customs is unlikely to hold you up much, the real queueing will be at Immigration, unless you arrive at a very quiet time on a flight with few foreigners on board.

Then you have to wait for your luggage, which might come out first, or last, there's no way to know.

Don't look like you are in a hurry or nervous when you reach Customs as that probably increases the chances that they will ask you to open your luggage.

Basically you just have to go with the flow when you arrive at an airport- sometime you will be out quickly, other times you will be there a long time- it's all part of travelling.

by Sira rate this post as useful

.... 2008/11/27 11:35
When touring, we always bring along some prescribed and non-prescribed medicine with us. We pack them together in a plastic bag in our check-in luggage. As for the liquid items and gel, we will carry some with us in case we need to use them in the flight.
Our experience ,so far, is quite good. We hardly been asked to open our luggages by the customs. Once they did, we told them the medicine were for ourselves. We were not asked to to open up the bag nor did they ask a second question.
by tju rate this post as useful

time? 2008/11/27 12:40
ok so how long should it take to get through customs and immigration if they didnt have to check my bags.
reasons why i ask is there is something i have to buy in akihabara and the store closes at 8pm. and im leaving for haneda airport to go up to sapporo at 12:30 the next day, and i dont want to buy it online.
by dave rate this post as useful

declaring medicine 2008/11/27 20:37
So are you sure I don't need to declare the medicine? I'm just scared that if I don't declare it I'll get in trouble.

Narita 2008/11/27 21:23
Ina J, no, as far as I know you don't need to declare your medicines if they are not restricted and are for personal use.

Uji's comment above about it taking a long time was for if you were bringing in banned medications.

Declare it if it will make you feel better. If it isn't a banned medication I don't see why you would get in trouble.

Dave, as I said above, how long it takes depends on many factors. Maybe half an hour, maybe an hour, maybe even longer. About the fastest I have ever got to the arrival lounge was 30 minutes. Then you have to buy your tickets, get down to the train platforms etc. Also, planes and trains can be delayed, so don't set your heart on having to get to Akihabara the day you arrive. If you do, then that's great, but it may not happen. There is no way to hurry up the process.
by Sira rate this post as useful

computer 2008/11/27 22:10
when i want to buy computer in japan, should i declare (how much it costs) or what??
by Denis001 rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/28 07:31
when i want to buy computer in japan, should i declare (how much it costs) or what??

When entering Japan? Certainly not! It is not necessary to inform customs about planned future purchases!

However, if you do actually purchase a computer in Japan, you might be required to report your purchase and pay duties when you return to your home country at the customs of your home country. Check details with customs in your home country.

reply to this thread