Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to stay in Tokyo 2008/11/28 11:47
We'll be visiting Japan for the first time next april and are looking for accomodations in Tokyo. What area should I concentrate my search in? I want an area that is convenient to sights and shopping. I know everything is convenient because of ease of the subway system but I don't want to have to ride on a subway for 30min to an hour every morning and evening. Thanks for any help or tips.
by tylersohie  

Otemachi 2008/11/28 18:25
As many as 5 subway lines are available at Otemachi station.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/service/pdf/routemap_en.p...
by V rate this post as useful

budget 2008/11/28 18:30
Hi: it depends on your budget, and preference, and if you have a JR Pass: we stayed at the Shinagawa Prince hotel, a supposedly 3 star Western style hotel: VERY good, and worth lots more stars: directly opposite Shinagawa JR station, and Keihan station, and 5 mins walk from Takanawadai Toei Asukusa line subway: we could get absolutely anywhere both in and out of Tokyo: right on Yamanote line, Shinkansens, and subway...don't worry about travel times to places of interest in Tokyo: the travel is fun no matter how long it takes...enjoy the whole experience..you'll love it
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/28 18:42
Otemachi is in the middle of business district, though. To figure out where you should stay at, you will need to be specific about where in Tokyo you want to visit.
by ... rate this post as useful

Shinjuku 2008/11/28 19:26
I recommend Shinjuku!!!
Very convenient!!!
by Jojo rate this post as useful

Shinbashi! 2008/11/29 02:45
I like Shinbashi as it has lots of small restaurants and is next to Ginza. I have stayed in hotels in Shinjuku, Shibuya and Kanda and all these areas had their own charm. Bottom line is that it should be close to a JR or subway station, IMO.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

where in Tokyo 2008/11/29 05:19
I prefer Ueno or Shinagawa! by now the original poster will be confused! so let's try to explain Tokyo to that poster: like all very big and old cities Tokyo is made of neighbourhoods that were long ago villages separated by woods and fields. Now many of these neighbourhoods are pretty much self-contained "towns", each with a rail station, subway stations, lots of hotels and restaurants and shops and big department stores by, or on top of, the main rail station. Other neighbourhoods, like Yanaka, are still quiet nice places. Look at a basic map of Tokyo by Googling JR Yamanote line at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line. This is a train line that goes around Tokyo main neighbourhoods. It doesn't matter where you stay, as long as you are close to the Yamanote you will be able to go anywhere in Tokyo by either that rail line OR subways.BUT Due to Tokyo size you likely will have to travel 15 minutes to 1 hr to go from your hotel to other places in Tokyo! Have you ever been to London, Paris, New York, Shanghai etc.? same thing. Can't be helped! Google http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html for great info on Tokyo trains and subways.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread