Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan At New Years 2008/11/29 14:57
Hello -

I have never been to Japan and this may be my only trip. I am reading that many places are closed during New Years in Japan and that this is their biggest holiday. If I go on this trip, I will leave the States on December 26 and come back January 4. Depending on which Web sites I read, it seems that museums and restaurants will be closed during part, and perhaps most, of this time.

Can anyone offer up advice on whether this trip is worth it? And how severe are the closures? I read one place that there are intermittent closures from Dec 28 through Jan 5. Is that true and if so - is everything shut down or are there just intermittent closures I can work around? And finally - will I get a true taste of Japan and Tokyo during this time?

Just to give you ideas of what I'd be in to - I love cities and want to see a bustling Tokyo. I love all aspects of culture, so going to the temples for New Years is appealing but at the same time, I do want to see museums, taste the nightlife, and take a train to another city or two as well as see attractions in that secondary or tertiary city.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

-Ty
by Ty  

... 2008/11/30 08:28
Depending on which Web sites I read, it seems that museums and restaurants will be closed during part, and perhaps most, of this time.

Indeed, most museums and gardens are closed for at least some days during that period. As for restaurants, the closing days are fewer. Many businesses close on January 1, but are open on other days. Same with shops. And then there are few places, notably shrines and temples, that remain open the entire period. This page and the list of closing days at the bottom of the page should give you an idea:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

And finally - will I get a true taste of Japan and Tokyo during this time?

Japan is true Japan at any time of the year. You will not get a taste of everyday-life Japan, but you will get a taste of Japan during New Year.

I love cities and want to see a bustling Tokyo.

Tokyo will be bustling during the days leading to New Year with people making preparations for New Year. Shopping areas will be packed.

During the actual holidays (January 1-5), Tokyo is much quieter that usual. Not the ideal time to see "bustling Tokyo".
by Uji rate this post as useful

How About Train Travel 2008/11/30 16:34
Thank you for your advice and suggestions! I am now thinking I will stay in Tokyo until Jan 2 and perhaps take a side trip to Kyoto and/or Hiroshima.

If I have a rail pass, will I have troubles getting on a train during this time? If there are delays, how long should I expect to have to wait to get a seat on a train?

Thanks again for your help!
by Ty rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/30 16:39
Traffic on the Tokaido Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto will be extreme on several days during the New Year holidays. On these days, it is difficult to get seats and, if possible, I recommend to avoid traveling then. The situation for 2008/2009 is explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

One more q... 2008/11/30 16:43
Thanks again! When you say it's difficult to travel during this period, does that mean I could wait hours or perhaps days for a seat? If it is hours, can you estimate how long I might wayt? Sorry to keep asking but I just want to understand how difficult this could be.
by Ty rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/30 18:31
When you say it's difficult to travel during this period, does that mean I could wait hours or perhaps days for a seat?

It means that reserved seating on most trains is booked out weeks in advance, and unreserved seating is extremely crowded. If you board at the trains first station, you can get seats by lining up at the platform long in advance in order to catch a seat or simply do the journey standing.

Good to know 2008/12/8 08:16
Wow, good to know about Tokaido Shinkansen.

I'm taking the shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka on Dec 31st, so I guess I should expect to get there early

I guess I should probably try to book reserved tickets when I activate my rail pass on the 24th.
by David rate this post as useful

reply to this thread