Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR / Suica / Pasmo clarification 2008/11/30 14:14
Hello guys! Lots of great info here, thanks so much for all of the advice and counsel.

After searching and reading through many threads, I think I have a basic grasp on what to do for my trip. FYI:

Dec 5th - Jan 6th, I will be in Japan. Mostly we will stay in the Tokyo area but we plan on visiting Osaka, Kyoto, and Nara, with a few other day trips put in. We were going to purchase a 2 week JR Pass, but after reading I found it might be more cost effective to simply purchase the 7 day JR pass and rely on SUICA to get around Tokyo. As far as I can tell, from reading and checking links, SUICA and PASMO are mostly interchangeable (I think PASMO is slightly more restricted in the routes / subway systems you can use). Is my understanding basically correct?

Also, I will be staying in Kichijoji in an apartment I've rented. I see the N'EX line runs right to Kichijoji station, and it's faster than taking a bus there. Would it be the most economical to purchase the SUICA + N'EX package? Please note I'll be taking along a garment bag and a smaller traveller's case, as well as my messenger bag -- will I have problems on the N'EX line, with all of the luggage?

Arigatou gozaimasu. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply, guys!

Ken
by Shaolin7  

... 2008/11/30 16:26
As far as I can tell, from reading and checking links, SUICA and PASMO are mostly interchangeable

That is correct.

I think PASMO is slightly more restricted in the routes / subway systems you can use

That's right. In the Tokyo area, Suica and Pasmo are interchangeable, but in the Osaka, Nagoya, Hiroshima, Okayama, Niigata and Sendai areas, Suica can be used on JR trains, while Pasmo cannot be used.

Would it be the most economical to purchase the SUICA + N'EX package?

Yes, that would be among the most economical options. But note that only one NEX per day goes all the way to Kichijoji. At other times, a transfer to the Chuo Line is required at Shinjuku Station.

will I have problems on the N'EX line, with all of the luggage?

No. But in the Chuo Line, it can be uncomfortable with big bads on weekday during evenings rush hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/11/30 16:32
Thank you so much for confirming everything, Uji-san. So, it sounds like taking a bus may be the more polite choice, since I don't wish to inconvenience tired Japanese coming home after a long day at work! Arigatou gozaimasu, Uji-san.
by Shaolin7 rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/30 16:33
If you were to hit the peak of the weekday evening rush hours, it is also in your interest to avoid the Chuo Line and take the bus.

simple example 2008/11/30 16:35
1. it might be more cost effective to simply purchase the 7 day JR pass and rely on SUICA to get around Tokyo.

If you stay in Japan for 2 week(1 week in Tokyo and 1 week in Kyoto/Osaka/Nara), I advise u to buy 7day Pass and use it when you do round-trip Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka, and SUICA in Tokyo.

To rely or not to rely JR Pass depends on if you do long-distance interegional travel.

I checked the time table and the NEX stopping at Kichijoji is available only once per day, departing NRT at 20:43.
by Ts rate this post as useful

Thank you Ts 2008/11/30 16:44
Ahh, I am grateful for your response as well Ts. Yes, I think that is what I shall do -- purchase the 7 day JR pass and rely on SUICA while in Tokyo.

If the N'EX run is only available at 20:43, then that would be quite a wait as I arrive in Narita at 15:20. I'm not sure how long the fingerprinting and photos of foreign visitors take, but I can't imagine it would be that long? 20:43 is also around peak hours isn't it? In which case, I certainly would be taking up far too much room with my bags! I suppose a bus is more suitable. Arigatou gozaimasu!

quick 2008/11/30 17:25
You will be amazed at how fast and efficient it is to enter Japan: we deplaned and were waiting for the bus within 30 mins: that's catching the train from the satellite area where you land, to the central airport area, immigration with fingerprints etc and customs, as well as waiting for baggage claim etc: with a 3.20pm landing you could easily catch a bus within an hour or so: Chuo line around 5pm would be difficult with luggage ,definitely: enjoy your trip
by fmj rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/30 18:51
20:43 is also around peak hours isn't it? In which case, I certainly would be taking up far too much room with my bags!

The Narita Express is an all reserved seating train with extra luggage storage space, so this should not be an issue.

But as mentioned there's only one NEX train that goes out to Western Tokyo (Kichijoji and beyond ending at Takao) in the evening hours and every time I see it its always empty, at least once it leaves Shinjuku. But you have a way long wait you're better off just taking a bus to Kichijoji from NRT. The Chuo Line at Shinjuku into Western Tokyo in the evening rush with my small brief case is a pain, can't imagine with large luggage.
by John rate this post as useful

thank you 2008/12/1 08:05
Thank you for all of the informative replies, guys. I'm grateful for all of the kindness!

Hopefully, I won't end up lost but I am sure it won't be too difficult to navigate.

Arigatou!

Suica/NEX question 2008/12/5 21:52
Few questions please:

1. If the travel centres are closed at Narita airport, where can I purchase Suica/Nex?

2. For travelling to Yokohama on the Minatomirai line (I need to get a to a certain hotel)is Suica still valid, and if not where would I pay any extra charge?

thanks!
by Shooter25 rate this post as useful

trains are good here... 2008/12/5 22:21
As far as I know, if the airport is still open, the train ticket counters are still open. Yes, the Suica is valid on the Minato Mirai Line.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/6 07:58
If the travel centres are closed at Narita airport, where can I purchase Suica/Nex?

At the nearby ticket counters, which are open from the first train in the morning until around 21:45.

reply to this thread