Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1st time travel to Japan 2008/11/30 21:14
My boyfriend and I are planning on visiting Japan for about 2wks in Autumn 09. I am seeking advice/ opinions on whether it would be best to go with a tour group or if we should attempt to organise it ourselves. We have done NZ, Canada and some of USA independently (all english speaking) . I did a Europe tour and found it good as I didn't miss out on anything. We both really prefer the flexibility of traveling independently but are both open either. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Sam (Australia)
by Sam  

... 2008/11/30 21:53
I guess it depends on your personal preference but I travelled to Japan in Feb and didn't use a tour. I don't speak any Japanese and I found it pretty easy to find my way around. Japan has such a good transport system that it is easy to use and can get you almost anywhere.
I definitely prefer not to use a tour group because I enjoy researching places to visit and having the flexibility of visiting of choosing where I visit.
If you have the time to look at sites such as this one I'm sure you could build your own itinerary and once you get to Japan you will be able to work out how to get around.
That's my opinion anyway.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

It's up to you 2008/12/1 01:33
It's all up to you.
With a book like lone planet and the web to browse for info i have experienced you can have a superb holliday without taking a tour.

Japan is a relatively easy country to travel as long as your not shy and afraid for a small chalange

The language will always be a strugle but as long as you try to learn some simple phrases the people will go to any trouble to hlp you out if you need help .. even if it's as simple as finding the right way ...

What i can advise is to take a look at this site : http://www.tokyofreeguide.com

it's a great way of meeting a Japanese person, and getting a tour ... not like those group things where everyone is just following eachother blind ....

With this you might actualy enjoy your guide / tour

I spend 3 months in 2007 and been going to japan in 2008 , and will be in 2009
It's a great country friendly people , good food but it's a different culture ,
just accept it , enjyoy the ride ..
just do some research
by Martijn rate this post as useful

group or independent 2008/12/1 03:28
I thibk travelling Japan independently is good. As other posters have said the transport system is good and easy to use. Look into the JR Pass is you plan to do a lot of train travel
by jgirlgoz rate this post as useful

1st time in Japan 2008/12/1 06:30
I am another tourist who doesn't speak Japanese,save for a few dozen words or expressions (actually not being able to speak is less of a problem than not being able to read) but I have been to Japan 8 times so far and intend to go again soon. This site is a rich mine of information. Be sure to look at A-Z at the very top of this site. The sections on transportation, food etc. are great. Tours are very restrictive as you only see a glimpse of each area unless you pay a fortune.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Independent travel 2008/12/2 15:03
Depending on where you are travelling, Japan is a relatively easy country to get around in without being able to speak Japanese. You might consider travelling independently, but also booking some day tours as well to reduce the amount of planning needed to get from place to place. Many of the famous attractions contain information in English and some have volunteer English speaking guides as well. Often it is nice to take your time at certain places to experience the atmosphere. A tour may limit your flexibility to do this.
by Lg rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/2 17:37
I recently spent 3 weeks in Japan (2nd trip) and only managed to get lost about 4 times. These were only temporary setbacks and I realized we had boarded the wrong train shortly after the train had left the station. My family fired me as tour guide several times, however, since no one wanted to take over the duties I was soon allowed to resume by position.

Actually, I found the mistakes I made part of the fun of the vacation. Planning the schedules was truly enjoyable. However, despite all the planning; getting five adults to run on my schedule was extremely difficult. You do have to be flexible. Knowing a few Japanese phrases was invaluable, also.

If I were to offer only one bit of advice, it would be to study your routes carefully and know the stations on either side of your destination (at least right them down and carry them with you).

Oh, I vote for traveling independently in case you couldn't tell.

Have fun!!
by Paul rate this post as useful

Wakayama 2008/12/2 18:18
Wakayama is cool
by steve9753 rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/12/2 21:25
Wow - I thinks it's a unanimous 'go independent'!! I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the response. I feel more confident now in picking our own path - a much preferred option. Suggestion re: picking up a day trip here and there was great. I'm sure there will be more picking of brains down the track!! Cheers guys. Thanks heaps :)
by Sam rate this post as useful

reply to this thread